Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2001 Ford Escape: its bucking..rpm will rev between 1 and 4. Any idea

I have a 2001 Ford Escape that feels like its bucking when driving. The RPM will rev between 1 and 4. Any idea of the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Does it feel like the car gets the hiccups?

At what speed is this most noticed at?

Any warning lights on or flashing?

Do all gears and shifts feel good?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the car hiccups. It almost feels like its seizing. It happens at almost any speed. The check engine light is on and flashes from time to time. The gears and shifting seems to be fine

You have described an ignition misfire here in this case and the flashing CEL also backs up that diagnosis. Most likely its just one or two coil on plugs failing and those effected ones need to be replaced as well as there spark plugs. A scan tool can be used to run a power balance test while this is occurring to see which cylinder(s) are having a concern.

This needs to be addressed SOON because this concern can cause catalytic converter failure which adds 1,000$ to the repair bill.