Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Running hot..local dealer did a flush and fill..coolant

Customer Question

hello,i am trying to help my son with a 2000 discovery 4.0 series 2 engine problem. engine is running hot,this occured after local dealer did a flush and fill. air has been entering system consuming small amounts of coolant. dealer wants to install new engine,$8000.00. is it possible that there is a bad gasket on one of the heads or on the intake that would allow the system to fail and cause the coolant consumption. or are we looking down the wrong road. would a compression check be a place to look? the local dealer has informed him that whenever they have seen this problem before,they have replaced the engine.(bad block) if thats what it is then fine,but i think there are less expensive ways to troubleshoot this problem. pressure check the system and scope each cylinder to see if there is leak in the wall.any help would be great. the vehicle has around 115K miles
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now.

Very sorry for the delay but your question was sent to Ford.

To understand, flush and fill and then the problems? why was it flush and filled to begin with. Trying to gather some more information

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they purchased the rover used this last spring,had it checked out by the dealer in michigan,had a fuse replaced for the coolant fan. Since the engine had over 100K they decided to have the flush and fill done as it was recommened,after that air in the system became a problem and and dealer feel there is a bad block failure.
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

trying to gather info as this is odd after a fluch and fill. Did they use a power flush machine? no problems prior to flushing? are they admitting they could? be at any fault willing to work with you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they have told him they did the standard flush like normal for their dealership(rover certified) They said it would be $1500.00 for a head gasket job, but may not fix it,so they recommend a new engine. 9 out of 10 times when they see this,it takes a new engine. But they are not admitting any fault. as for the type of machine(power) i am not sure. I hate to see them empty the bank on this when it could be a lesser expensive fix.
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

I am very sorry for the delay.

Although I have worked on many Landrovers over the years, I really am unsure about giving my thoughts on this one. Just not there and/or know exactly what happened.

This in my opinion is rather odd with the miles on the vehicle and not terribly old and I personnally would rather not comment and please allow me to open the question up to another expert. They may be able to chime in better on this than I can

I will opt out and let another exper help you and your son. One should be along as soon as they can

Please do not respond to me as the post will remain locked to me. Sorry could not help on this one