Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.

cars and trucks do not need regular oil changes and even goes..pipe

An acquaintance claims that cars and trucks do not need regular oil changes and even goes so far to claim that none are necessary. He bases this on military research that it is more costly and inefficient to do this maintenance than to just skip it and overhaul the engine at later dates. Seems like a pipe dream to me. Maybe even a hookah pipe at that. What do you guys say about this; madness or not??
Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

That's insane. The best preventative measure you can do for your engine IS to keep the oil changed at the recommended service intervals. The viscosity of the oil WILL break down over time and with heat, which makes the oil thinner, and makes the oil not absorb heat and/or lubricate properly. The over haul will cost you triple what regular oil changes will cost over the same period of time. Not to mention, here in the "real" world, if you skip an oil change, and you happen to have a warranty- kiss it goodbye! At least we now know where government spending is being misappropriated!