Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

My 1994 tracker run like shit

Customer Question

my 1994 tracker run like shit
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Has timing and compression been checked ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have put the test light on it and it flash at the same spot for 6 or 8 times then goes back and forth many degrees and returns to the spot .
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like timing is off . Have you physically checked timing ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have check the timing its good . some times it runs good but its getting worst , some back fire feeder not responding and then goes . is it common on those vehicul that the ECM dont read rite,
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
That's also true .If all else was replaced you might have to swap the ECM what else was done ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this trouble vehicul is automatic and I have a spair ECM that comes out of a standard, are they the same
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
No unfortunately not . These are different. This also controls the transmission shifting . You can see if it takes care of the running issue as long as you don't drive it but the plugs can be different if they are it will not work . You can get one from a salvage yard for about 75 dollars. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will it rune the ECM if i go 4 a ride with it , i have change the gears in the difs the problem was more noticible after that mod. should I disconnect some thing?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
It will not ruin anything.Just not shift property . See if it runs smoother if so that's the issue .