Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Shop Owner
Experience:  Diagnostics, Electrical
60340645

many Range Rover questions I hope someone can help me with.

Customer Question

Hello. I have many Range Rover questions I hope someone can help me with. I have an EAS question on just answer.com. I have a 97 RR 4.6 HSE and have many Body Control Module issues I am trying to troubleshoot...The windows, seats, and prog defrost are working intermittantly and the climate control display is flashing and going out. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks, Brian
Category: Car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I need a Range Rover expert to answer my questions regarding RR EAS and Body Control module issues. Thanks, Brian
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.
welcome to Just Answer.

What it sounds like is you Body Electrical Control Module (BECM) is acting up.

First you can try to disconnect both of the battery cables and hold them together for 15 seconds. This will help reset the module if you do not have a scanner. Reconnect the battery cables back up and see if it helped. When holding the cable ends together do not have it touching the battery at all. Only have the battery ends touching.

If it does not help then you need to check the relays inside the junction box to make sure the connections are good, and you can switch the relays around as long as they are a relay that is working and has the same part number.

Then if the relays are ok check the connection at BECM, if it only does it once in a while it sounds like it is a bad ground or a loose connection.

Now if the fuses are ok, the relays are ok, the reset did not work, or the connections are good, you need to check the pins inside the module for power, if no power for each of the items not working this means the module is bad and will need to be replaced.

Here is the location of it for you to check the connections out.

Thank you
graphic
graphic

Repair1014U, Shop Owner
Experience: Diagnostics, Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello. First off thanks alot for the quick response and congratulations on your retirement and I hope you enjoy it to the fullest. I am going to go out and check the module as you instructed above and I let you know how I make out. Also, I asked an EAS (electronic air suspension) question and hoped maybe you could advise me on it....There is a 4mm plastic line leaving the top side closest to the firewall on the valve block assy. It broke(I cannot find where the rest of it is at), I split the plastic off the 6mm lines that go out from the valve block assy. where this 4mm line went into...it's like it dead-ended into the plastic with the other lines, which it cannot do??? Is there any way to send me a diagram like the one you sent above, except for EAS lines, etc? Thanks again, Brian Also, I am telling you about the EAS question on Just Answer.com so you can also recieve credit for your experience and advice! Thanks a million and do you reccomend a used or rebuilt/reman body ECU/module and know of a good source?

Thank you very much for the accept and the Bonus.
The after market ECU are ok most of the time. The nice thing about the after market one at like Autozone if there is a problem with it you can return in a little bit easier then the dealer one.

You will need to have the ECM programmed with vin, milage, and skim (alarm) before putting it the vehicle. You need to make sure the battery is disconnected before installing the new module, if you do not do this you can damage the new or rebuilt. DO NOT buy a used one, you are just throwing money on the ground. If the used one does not have very low mileage on it and the wrecking yard will not give you warranty then you stuck with a module that you can not use.

Ok allow me a few mins to check to see if I have the diagram for you.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response...I'm on my way to Chicago (80mi 1 way) and am nervous to drive it without hooking up that 4mm line. Anyways, be sure to click on my other question for the EAS so you get credit, if you want it! Thanks again, Brian
Ok I can not fine any hose Diagrams for the air suspension, but if you are able to take a pic of the line close up and then a far away shot I properly could tell and tell you where it goes for you.

Please send over the pic and we can go from there.
Thank you
But here is the electrical diagram is this might help you in the future.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Thanks again for your advice!! I called my local dealer and found out that the 4mm line is just an air drain, that is why I could not find the end. If you do come across any EAS air line diagnostic guides,etc. please send them to me as I am having fits with it leaking and doing crazy stuff like the left side dropping and then the rest of the truck following it down. I am afraid to drive it because the compressor is running all the time and I don't want to burn it up. Any other ideas? Thanks again and be sure to enjoy your retirement, many folks never achieve that so enjoy it as best you can!!! Brian
I will look for it tonight when i have some time and send it over to you.

Thank you so much for everything again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Repair1014U, Good Evening. Did you get a chance to find an air line plumbing diagram, etc.? I tried driving my Range today, and it went nuts with the EAS and dropped to the bumpstops. It's crazy because the compressor kept running and wouldn't quit. I am going to run all new lines and install new air bags in the rear(front bags replaced) so I will not have to deal with leaks any more. Thanks again, Brian

I just was able to get back on line know. I will do some digging around now that I am back on line and send what I can find for you over. Thank you again for your patience

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Mr Repair 1014U, Please click on my other questions so you can get credit for your time and advice. I really need guidance on how to set/calibrate EAS suspension....I have a program to access EAS functions and write/set height settings. I keep getting LF 138mm RF 164mm LR 102mm RR 134mm as where my EAS is setting my truck??? I am not sure where my leak is, and what else is wrong...Any ideas? Thanks a bunch, Brian

I did try to click on the other question but it will not let me through. I have a friend in California that is helping find the diagram for you. I am also searching other avenues I have.

Thanks again for waiting.

ok you are going to enjoy this site I found for you. The problem is you might not ask me any more questions. You need to go to this website at www.rangerovers.net /newrremedies.htm On the home page click on Air Suspension, then it will give you a to z for the air suspension. Click on the Air Springs and check it out. This will help you with everything.

If you having trouble please let me know.

Thank you again for waiting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Repair1014U!!! How's the retirement life treating you? Hopefully, all is well...Anyways, I have been doing a lot of work to my Range Rover and I checked the BeCM as you instructed, and it's shot. I ordered a reman BeCM and have a Launch Diagun diagnostic tool, are you familiar with X-431's? Do you know the procedure for programming a BeCM with an X-431 Diagun? Do you have any other advice/instructions for me to follow while installing the new BeCM?

Thanks again for all your help, Brian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Repair1014U....Did you get a chance to look at the last question I posted? Any thoughts or suggestions on installing a Reman BeCM? Thanks and enjoy the long weekend, Brian
Hello Brian,

I just signed on and retirement is great. But today I am not feeling to good.

Allow me some time to check for you the step by step instructions for.

I should be sending it over in about 15 mins.

Thank you again Brain.
Brian,

Ok install the new BECM but do not start the vehicle.

Hook the scanner tool up, and follow the instructions on the screen. You will be programing the vin number, and the mileage into the scanner when asked and then the scanner will be testing everything. Then you should be good to go.

Thank you for updating.