George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

Suzuki sx4: rear end differential, car

Our mechanic had heard that the Suzuki sx4 crossovers often have problems with the rear end differential, transmition and a certain sensor that costs $800. Have you experienced any on-going mechanical difficulties in these cars? We like buying cars for the long hall - not ones to get a new car every 3 to 4 yrs.
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

I have to be honest with you, if you want to keep a car till the wheels fall off a Suzuki is not the car for you. There are the problems your mechanic listed along with several others and the reason they can sell this for the price they can is that they cut anywhere possible.

If you bought one new and had the warranty to cover you it would be a different story. Buying this used would not be prudent.

A Hyundai or Honda would be a better choice if you want it to run fo years with little trouble. The Toyota would be as well. You get what you pay for on todays market so for long lasting you have to pay up front or plan on moving to a new car every 4 - 5 years. If you don't the repair costs will pile up.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me what our options are in an AWD vehicle that get decent gas mileage as well as reliability for the long haul.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

I would look at the Hyundai Tuscon, Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4.

They are all small crossover vehicles that have proven technology and a good track record on repairs despite the media stories about Toyota the last couple of years. They still build a good vehicle.

Unfortunately you will pay a Premium for the Honda or Toyota as they retain their value. The Hyundai not as much but it has been a best buy from consumer reports for a couple of years and has proven to be reliable.

Let me know what I can do to help

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are looking for an AWD that also has good gas mileage as well as being reliable mechanically. What specific models would you suggest?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The mOdel of each is the Tuscon for the Hyundai, you can get a 4 cylinder or the 6 cylinder and the same for the Toyota RAV4 or Honda CR-V.

Let me know what questions you have and I will try to answer them for you