CarDoc
CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

The bushings replaced $1080 and the brakes..000 miles..?thanks

my mechanic told me that my bentley flying spur needs to have the bushings replaced $1080 and the brakes replaced $3100. It has 28,000 miles. Are these legit and is the price right?
thanks

CarDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

CarDoc :

Which bushings are your mechanic referring to?

CarDoc :

The brake pricing definitely sounds within the realm of normal for this car

CarDoc :

I will move this session over to a tradition question/answer format, but as I still need to know information about the bushings, please do not accept this as an answer yet.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im not sure. He said they are the bushings that affect the inside of the tires and that not replacing them would result in tire wear.

He could be speaking of the inner control arm bushings.

Can you tell me what the labor rate is at this shop?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not really sure. i was just quoted the total amt.
Well, if their labor rate is in the $150/hr range, then the bushing job also seems in the realm of normal for this car as well. A lot of this depends on location as well, as high-end European car service tends to be more expensive in larger metro areas (LA, Chicago, Miami, NY, Atlanta, etc.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if the rate is acceptable, is it necessary to replace the inner control arm bushings? What happens if i don't replace them?//////
Without me being able to measure or feel the amount of deflection in the bushings, it's impossible for me to determine if they truly are worn. So what I have to do at this point, is jsut assume that the shop is reporting the issue correctly. Yes, if the bushings are worn, then excessive deflection will cause ill handling, and potentially excessive tire wear.