Super Tech Pat
Super Tech Pat, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  10 years plus experience in the auto industry.
63503122

I took my car..60000/90000 maintenance done..the car needed..vibration

I took my car into a shop to get the 60000/90000 maintenance done. That was all the car needed. After the guy worked on my car, it developed a vibration. I asked for him to inspect & find out why. He said it was a motor mount, fixed it at a discount & i was satisfied until the next day the vibration started again, took it back then he said it was the other motor mount, he replaced it also at cost, then he informed me that the 3rd (firewall) mount was soon to go out and wrote up an estimate for it but was not willing to give me a discount. Basically, every time he touched my car something went wrong. is it likely for a scion, which has not had any problems ,nor displayed symptoms, have all 3 motor mounts go bad at the same time? I am a responsible, mature driver with a perfect driving record, i do not dog my car
Category: Car
Expert:  Super Tech Pat replied 2 years ago.

Super Tech Pat :

Motor mounts are items that do where about the same.

Besides holding the engine in place, motor mounts also keep the surrounding steel that vibrates around the motor from shaking that car. One end of the motor mount is bolted to the engine and the other to the vehicle frame. The mounts clamp everything down and allow the car to accelerate more smoothly and without vibration.

Super Tech Pat :

It is very possible that they need to be replaced around the same time. Im sure there is nothing you did to cause them to go bad, the shop that had your vehicle also could not of caused them to go bad. They are mainly rubber and an item that at some point is just about guarenteed to fail.

Customer:

i have an account that has allowed me 5 free questions ...this is my first free question...how do i keep from being billed for this answer?

Super Tech Pat :

To be honest I am not sure how the billing works. I would suggest contacting the customer service department. However I believe that if you have 5 free questions you will not be billed by clicking accept, it should just drop it to 4 free questions.

Super Tech Pat :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

is there a better quality grade that can be had?

Super Tech Pat :

Grade of part?

Customer:

of mounts, like with brakes? good -better- best?

Customer:

can you examine a mount visually and tell if it is bad?

Super Tech Pat :

Well it depends on what grade he used. Whenever you buy parts you always want to ask if they are "OEM" parts. What that means is the original equipment part. You see when you buy a toyota most of the parts are not Toyota parts. Toyota contracts to companies to make the parst and package them in Toyota packaging. Same goes for every manufacter. So as long as you get the "OEM" part it is the same quality as when the car was new.

Super Tech Pat :

Usually you can if they are broke, the rubber wll be cracked. Sometimes you can only tell by applying force from a prybar when they are in the vehicle becuase the rubber may just be weak and not yet broken.

Customer:

so...if i take the mounts to a mechanic familiar with toyota products ....they will be able to tell me if the mounts experienced natural wear & tear?

Super Tech Pat :

in most cases yes

Customer:

thank you...have a blessed new year

Super Tech Pat :

you too. glad i can help. please leave good feedback. Thanks!

Customer:

k

Super Tech Pat, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 10 years plus experience in the auto industry.