Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

1999 isuzu amigo: 3.2L V6..replacing timing belt on..camshaft..cams

I have a 1999 isuzu amigo 3.2L V6 that I am replacing timing belt on. when I took old belt off, I didn't have the camshaft sprockets lined up so when I pulled belt, the cams sprang into a position. now the timing is off. with the #1 piston tdc, the crankshaft sprocket mark(key) is at the 9 oclock position instead of at the 3 oclock position. How do I get the crankshaft to line up right and the piston be at tdc?
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

9 o clock and 3 oclock are not relative to the ground (floor or horizon).....a bulletin has been issued by GM to correct that.....

Billy :

I will include the bulletin and the detailed instructions so you proceed with this:

Billy :

click here1 and here2 for details

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if follow up is needed..Click ACCEPT so i get credited for my work...positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

JACUSTOMER-8luh49d4- :

do I have #1 piston or #2 piston at tdc?

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

You should have the crankshaft pulley notch to 3 oclock (driver side).....that would be the number one at tdc.

Billy :

Billy

JACUSTOMER-8luh49d4- :

when notch is at 3 oclock (driver side) the number one piston is not at tdc. the files you sent say something about the number 2 being tdc, which do I do?

JACUSTOMER-8luh49d4- :

thanks for helping, but do you see my dilemma

Billy :

Hello again,

Billy :

You are correct.....my apologies for the typo....it is notch at 3 oclock....at which time the piston 2 will be at TDC.

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Billy :

JACUSTOMER-8luh49d4- :

ok.... I will give a try, why is number 2 tdc, because of 6 cylinder?

Billy :

no........it is a timing issue...(affected by the shape of the crankshaft).

JACUSTOMER-8luh49d4- :

thanks man..... I will let you know how it turns out.

JACUSTOMER-8luh49d4- :

give me about 1 hour and I will let you know.

Billy :

Take your time.....read the instructions...and follow carefully.....and then get back to me with the good news!!!!

Customer:

put back together. still not right but better. code says multiple misfires. not giving up

Billy :

This should mean that the timing is off by a tooth or two (if that is the only problem).....

Billy :

After, fitting, you should turn via the crankshaft manually two turns...and check if all the marks align back on marks...

Billy :

Again, i cannot stress enough on carefully reading the instructions (both files)...as this is not an easy process...however, having the updated instructions...and following to the letter should get the job done.

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer:

thanks man

Billy :

You're most welcome!

Customer:

hate to bug you again, BUT, I put belt on and #2 tdc, it took three rotations for the camshaft marks to line up again. Is that normal?

Billy :

hello again....

Billy :

you should turn via the crankshaft sprocket.....and within two turns of this (and one turn or the camshaft sprockets) you should get back on marks.

Customer:

I have taken this thing apart and put back together 6 times, it is still misfires, runs but is weak and misfires. Am I supposed to take valve covers off and chech the rockers assy's for proper alignment? Before I take belt off one more time, can the misfire be caused if right sprocket is off one tooth?

Billy :

Hello again,

Billy :

The misfire can be caused if the timing is off....even by one tooth.

Billy :

However, instead of removing and installing many times.....you have to turn via the crankshaft sprocket (after installing)...to confirm that the timing marks are spot on, before proceeding.

Billy :

You can remove the valve cover, and check the rocker arms....and the problem might elsewhere (poor fuel pressure etc...).....however, you need to confirm that the timing is right before delving in other components.

Customer:

I rotated the crank three times and all lined up except the right(driver) side sprocket is off looks like by A tooth. I do thank you for your help man.

Billy :

it should line up after rotating 2 times.....and since one side is staying off mark...then this needs aligning....unfortunately you do need to remove the belt yet one more time.....once you install you need to rotate two turns via crankshaft, and the marks get back on spot....if not, the timing is not right (before you install everything back and check other things)....

Billy :

And you're most welcome!!!

Customer:

so it is two times rotating? it doesnt line up in two turns, now in three turns it does (I believe the info you sent states three turns and #2 tdc. By the way, Happy New Year. Three days off last weekend and wanted to hunt deer, but ended up hunting timing marks

Billy :

turns out timing marks are harder to hunt ;)...and happy new year to you as well...and it is three complete turns (as you have three timing sprockets....a V engine....correct again)

Customer:

so if it is off by ONE tooth it will misfire. Fuel and all is good. still too warm here in Alabama to hunt. strange warm winter

Billy :

yes.....fix the timing, and if the problem persists, we'll check other issues.....but it is unlikely.....

Customer:

where do I go to leave feedback..... You have been great and patient. I love working with my hands and fixing stuff, but this has hit my last nerve.

Billy :

you have to ACCEPT first (if answer is satisfactory)...and you can always come back on this page for follow up....and you can wait till it's fixed.....

Customer:

oh, does it matter which side is off by a tooth, the crank is aligned with its mark and the left (passenger side) is ligned up on its mark, but the right side is a tooth to the right of its mark.

Billy :

when the mark is off, it will cause problems....mostly misfire.....either side.....

Customer:

go and enjoy your sunday, I will let you know later how it goes.

Billy :

thank you....good luck for now!!!

Customer:

Billy...... Help. I have taken this apart a bunch of times(9) and still not running correctly. Misfires. had put in new plugs and cranked the vehicle. still misfires, pulled all six plugs and noticed that the odd side plugs are still like new, but the even side looked liked they had been in there a long time. like they had a candle held under and the smoke covered the plugs. when putting the vehicle in time all marks are lined up. turn it three times and the even bank mark is slightly to the right of the mark (like a tooth out).... I am stuck, I have so much time in this I hate to send it to a mechanic. I am just off a hair I feel like.

Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

It's good to check the plugs, filters etc.....
But that needs to be done after confirming the timing being right.....

I wish i was there to assist you in a more tangible way....however, for now, i can only say that you need to have your timing right...as i think that this should fix your engine.

Since you are always having one tooth off on the same side....then i would rotate the cam sprocket one tooth offset when installing (the other way).....hopefully you will end up with marks on spot....

Get back to me with your results, or if further info is needed.

Regards,
Billy