Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

2004 Suzuki Forenza: repair shop..replaces the faulty ecm unit..VIN#

2004 Suzuki Forenza, my repair shop mechanic tells me if he replaces the faulty ECM unit on my Suzuki, a used or new unit ,that it would have to be programmed to my VIN# XXXXX the dealership. I spoke to a shop mechanic at the dealership and he told me that "not in my case"(2004 Suz./Forenza) A used unit does not need deprogramming and reprogramming. A new unit needs no programming of the stock room shelf. "Just bolt it on, plug it in, start it up and you can drive away". Who is right? I am betting on the dealership mechanic but I would like you opinion as a clincher. Thank You.

new or used
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Was the ECM fuse blown on this vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good morning, my mechanic says that was one of the first things he checked. I was told by him that after ringing out the electrical system the problem still points to the ECM. He also added that these units very seldom give out and that the dealer's parts dept. seldom has a call for one. Maybe because, they sell in the $700 range and people are getting used and or rebuilt units. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for your next msg.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Your mechanic is correct. This ECM needs to be programmed to the vehicle it has an immobilizer system and the vehicle will not start unless programmed to the vehicle. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.