Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

other day I drove it to cvs and came out in 30mins..engine compartment

I have a 1978 MGB sports car which has not given me any trouble for the last 3yrs. The other day I drove it to CVS and came out in 30mins and it would not start. The only sound was a small click from the engine compartment. I have checked the battery, loose connections and fuses and still it wouldn't start. It now stands on my drive.Peter XXX XXXXXXXXX
Do you still get the click each time the key is turned to the start position?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, there is only a faint click from the right hand side of the engine compartment if I'm sitting in the drivers seat. I have already checked for petrol (gas)

Sorry I have no more information only that the gas pump is okay as I heard it clicking away.

The problem is either going to be due to loose connections at the starter or battery cables OR due to a faulty starter solenoid. Check that the battery is fully charged and check connections first. If all this is okay then the starter can be pulled and replaced. The solenoid can be removed from the starter and replaced separately, but the entire starter is available more readily through most parts stores.