jamesrd1978
jamesrd1978, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, master Honda technician. Small engine experience. also trailer and some marine work
63285328

2000 Isuzu amigo: with a 6 cylinder..humming sound from my engine

Customer Question

Hello Felloows Happy New Year to you all. I have a 2000 Isuzu amigo with a 6 cylinder, 3.2L engine. About 2 weeks ago, while driving to work i heard a humming sound from my engine. I bought this truck from a friend. he bought it as savage because it was hit on the riht rear quarter panel. The engine has only 46,000 original miles. i have this truck to Atlanta Ga, nashville, TN, New York with no problem. It ruan like a champ. After hearing that sound I got to work and parked it for 12 hours and at the end of the day, i started it with no problem and as i was driving, I noticed there was no power when i gave it gas. It has lost its normal compression. Without forcing the issue, I turned around and parked it at work and to it to my friend's shop the next day. It started fine with normal idling but just no power when engaged in drive or reverse positoin. There wsa also a faint rattling noise from the right cylinder head.
My frind suggested that I replaced the engine. On a second thought after calling the junk yards around they only have engines with over 100,000 miles, we decided to rebuild the engine. Everything was checked out and i boughtall the required parts for the job. He replaced the piston rings, connecting rods and main bearings, iol and water pumps, timing belt and tensioner. I took the heads to a experienced machine shop with technicians with over 30+ years of experience. They thoroughly cleaned the heads, replaced the valve seals, grinded and reset the valves with the proper clearances because the engine has soild connecting rods not hydraulic.
My friend has been working on it withcaution and has assembled all the necessary parts to at least start the engine. It start but didn't leave it to run long. To my dismay, he tried to start it the next but won't start. He is still trouble shooting the issue. I know this site because i have used it before and that is why i am back again.
i would like to point out that I experienced some signs such as the engine check light comes on and sometimes flashing and it will go away for a few days and come on again but no flashing. I checked the problem and it diagnosed to be one of the injectors was clogged and was cleaned and I was advised to use premium gasoline and if the problem persist to change the injectors. Also sometimes when trying to start the engine there is heavy pressure back flow ( loud popping sound) that would come through the air filter chamber and sometimes open the air filter housing cover.
I am wondering if the EGR valve or catalystic converter problem would be in the mix of all of this. I know you fellows can help me figure this thing out. I have spent a modest sum in this project. I have received the correct feedback before and i saved a bundle. May God bless you all for helping people like me. Thank you in advance for your help.
Category: Car
Expert:  jamesrd1978 replied 2 years ago.

jamesrd1978 :

jamesrd1978 :

Happy New year to you, glad you came back, I am going to try to help you out the best that I can but without seeing it, It may be hard, This is the same engine in the Honda Passports and Acura SLXs . I am still trying to understand your issue sorry, How long has the engine been together? how many miles are on it? and were you experiencing the issues from the day the engine was finished? I just need to ask some baseline questions to help you out.