normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years of automotive experience
22294968

miss in it. While driving it will rev to3000rpm at 60 mph.

I have an 01 freeander. It has a miss in it. While driving it will rev to3000rpm at 60 mph. If I let off the accelerator it will kick down to 1500 rpm and when I give it more gas it will correct to 3000 rpm at 70 mph. This wen on for about a week then it does it all the time and sometimes it will not correct. What is the problem? also it will not climb a hill of any size without kicking and loosing speed and increasing rpm.

Good afternoon and thank you very much for your question.

Pleases can you tell me if your Freelander has manual or automatic transmission?

Regards, Gary.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is an automatic
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you
What you are describing sounds like a transmission concern, however, it would be important to verify that the catalytic converter is not restricted. We typically do this with a back pressure test but if you can access the front oxygen sensors and remove them you could test drive it with them out to verify that the concern still exists or if relieving the pressure in front of the converters allows the transmission to function properly as well as regaining power. If the converters are not the problem you could still have a low engine power concern due to fuel pressure (fuel filter old and plugged?) or simply the engine misfiring on a couple of cylinders causing the lack of power and the need to depress the accelerator further than what it is designed to attain the speed you desire.
normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience: Over 25 years of automotive experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Took the freelander to Gap automotive and asked them to check the converter and the oxygen sensors, and told them what it was doing.

They called me and told me they had checked the car out and changed the plugs, and the vaccumm hose. They also cleaned the air intake mechanism.

The car runs like a charm.

Thank you so much for the help.

Patsy

Your very welcome, glad you were able to get it resolved and it wasn't the worst case scenario