vauxdoc
vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech
Experience:  25 years GM factory trained ATA UK registered
10908802

Hi. I have a 1995 Opel Astra, 1.4l, 4 Cylinder, 8V, Overhead

Hi. I have a 1995 Opel Astra, 1.4l, 4 Cylinder, 8V, Overhead Cam. Gasoline Motor.At times the motor makes a "Clanging" sound, the sound gets faster with higher RPM (not higher velocity).My mechanic has said this is either a camshaft problem or a valve/valve lifter problem. The repairs here would be very expensive. The question is, can I do this myself, do I need special tools, other than a torque wrench? Or should I just junk the car?Greetings,Tom in Switzerland
Category: Car
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, This should be the C14NZ engine and it is one of the easiest engines to work on, it requires no specialist tools and engine parts are readily available.

From your description I would tackle this job by taking the cam cover off and inspecting the lobes on the camshaft check that they all have a healthy looking profile, if one is worn then this will be the noise.

If not then I would carry out a pressure test on no. 4 cylinder this is a different test to a compression test and is done by pressurizing the cylinder to check the valves, if this is OK then I would replace the hydraulic lifters.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info...just a question or two more.
How far into the motor will I go? Will I need to remove the head, which means replacing the head gasket, things like that? Do I need a torque wrench should that be necessary?
I have all other necessary tools, both in metric and inch.
Regards, Tom
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
You could plan the job as if you were taking the head off for a decoke and a good inspection while stripping down should reveal the fault, so you should budget for a head gasket set, a set of head bolts (as these are stretch bolts) a cam belt and yes a torque wrench, you will need metric tools for this.

The head bolt torque is 25 newton metres followed by a 60 degree three times.