Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certifications in Engine Repair, Manual Drivetrain and Axles, Suspension and Steering, and Heating and A/C.
49095596

1998 sebring car alarm will not stop. How do I disable the

1998 sebring car alarm will not stop. How do I disable the alarm system?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

Robert R :

Hello, My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 25+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

Robert R :

is this a factory or aftermarket alarm system?

Customer:

It is factory

Robert R :

The only way to disarm the alarm system is with a working remote keyfob, or using the key in the door. If the key won't operate when unlocking the door, then likely the switch has broken off the back side of the door lock cylinder. Try both front doors, and the trunk to see if it disarms the alarm. If it still wont disarm - then likely the system has malfunctioned and will need to be scanned to determine the cause....

Customer:

Have had trouble with the alarm and at first daughter couldn't lock the door at all ,with not locked was not a problem now alarm will not stop going off. Would just like to disable alarm.

Customer:

Is there a relay, fuse ,or wire that can premantly disarm the alarm?

Robert R :

No, there is no way do permanently disable the alarm, If you happened to pull any fuses that would disable the horn and lights, the vehicle would STILL not start due to the Fuel being shut off in the PCM...

Robert R :

This system needs to work properly in order for the vehicle to be able to start...

Robert R :

You need to find a mechanic that has access to the DRBIII scanner to be able to read the BCM codes to find out what is wrong...

Robert R :

You may be able to pull the driver door panel to see if the switch fell down inside the door, if it did, use a small tool to rotate the switch, or disconnect the switch and using a jumper wire, touch the two wires together in the connector, it may shut off the alarm temporarily. this may be able to at least get the vehicle started....But if the switch was broken, it will need to be repaired or replaced...

Robert R :

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help until your concern is resolved. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certifications in Engine Repair, Manual Drivetrain and Axles, Suspension and Steering, and Heating and A/C.