Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
10906483

2012 hyundai sonata: a night of torrential rains here in Florida

Customer Question

Recently I bought a brand new 2012 Hunday Sonata. No problem with the vehicle out of the car dealer. A few months later my dear son on a night of torrential rains here in Florida run the can through pool of water the engine just stop. That same night we took the car to a Hunday dealership close to where the incident happened. On the following day I get a call from the mechanic saying that the engine was ruined. The insurance (Geico) inspector show up at the dealer and agreed to pay for a new engine, $10,000 cost including the installation.

After the approval, it took the car dealer almost a month and a half to get the supposedly new engine, installed it and return the vehicle. After getting the car I notice that oil dripping. Took the vehicle back to the dealer and the following day got the car back. However, I notice that the car was still dripping oil, less but still dripping. Took the vehicle to my mechanic to see if he could see where the leak was coming from and he suggested to take it back to the dealer and lit him find the problem because there was oil all over the motor and he would have to wash the engine to determine the cause of the dripping. Took the car back to the dealer and after a day a service representative tells me that the leak is coming from the top cover gasket.

My question is the following; can a BRAND NEW motor sent from the Hunday factory be dripping oil, even if it is a small amount? Doesn't the factory test the motor before sending it to the dealer? Do you know where the motor ID is located for a 2012 Hunday Sonata? Even though I don't have enough information at this time, I am suspecting that the service center did not installed a new motor as they should have and tried to repair the old one. Do you know the government agency I should contact for this kind of fraud, assuming that they committed fraud?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with you question. I'm Dj.

Dj :

First off, the only engine that is available from Hyundai for a 2012 Hyundai is a new engine. There are now rebuild or remanufactured engines available.

Dj :

It's possible that they got a used engine, but the odds are pretty slim. There would have to be a 2012 Hyundai in a junk yard for that to even be possible. And if that happened, the repair would have done much sooner than a month.

Dj :

So realistically, the only real option is to put a new engine in.

Dj :

When Hyundai ships an engine, it's what's called a long block. It's got most of the pieces already attached, but not all the pieces. The dealership has to take all of the mounts and accessories off of the old engine and put them on the new engine.

Dj :

I expect that this is where the problem is.

Dj :

The most likely cause of the problem is poor workmanship on the part of the dealership.

Dj :

They made a couple of mistakes on this. They should have done the repair correctly. But they should have test driven it and checked for leaks. If they found a problem they should have fixed it before you ever got the car back. And even worse, they made this mistake twice by giving you a car with a leak.

Dj :

You can fix this a couple of ways but I think the best way is to contact the dealership General Manager. Don't waste your time with the Service Manager or Service Advisor. They got paid $10,000 to fix the car. Now it's time to actually fix it.

Dj :

Insist that they fix it, test drive it, test it for leaks, and clean up their mess.

Dj :

DO NOT TAKE IT TO AN INDEPENDENT SHOP. This could really screw things up because they will blame the other shop for everything. If it comes down to it, you can take it to another Hyundai shop.

Dj :

This isn't fraud. It's poor workmanship and an unprofessional shop. So start with the general manager. If that doesn't work to get the car fixed, let me know and I will help you escalate this and get it solved.

Dj :

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Dj :

Dj

Customer:

Dj the reason I

Customer:

Dj I was under the assumption that when the engine is new and out of the box there was no need for much adjustment, however it seems i was wrong. I am not a mechanic. The car is currently in the shop and according to their last description of the problem, the oil is dripping through the TOP gasket not the bottom. After my wife took the car to this dealer the first time I found out that they have more complains that I care for. I agree with your assessment of the problem, however as a sanity check I would like to make100% sure that the engine is new. If I recall every motor has an ID written in the block. Do you know where the ID (not the car VIN #) is located for a 2012 Sonata GLS. I can easily compare the new motor ID with the motor that came with the car to make sure that they did not tried to repair the old one and I will also call Hunday to see where the new motor came from. Again i am not trying to sound paranoid, however this dealer has made my life very uncomfortable during the last couple of months. Again, thank you very much for your response. I will contact you again if I can not resolve this issue.

Dj :

You have every reason not to trust this dealership. They should have solved the problem before it was a problem.

Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know where the ID (not the car VIN #) is located for a 2012 Sonata GLS? Not sure if you got my first reply. Thanks
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.

It's on the front (pulley end) of the engine. Small flat spot on the block.