Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

The Check engine came on..ignition key

The Check engine came on ! Later, ignition key left on for half an hour. Since then car has failed to start ! Any answers ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 4 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.First is it cranking over? Have you tried removing the negative battery cable for about 5 mins? Thanks Please let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes to the first. To the second , we disconected the battery completely ( i think) as I wasn't there

Are there any codes in the computer? When was the timing belt last changed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes Mastertech1, My mechanic has done something with the codes without luck. Sorry i can't tell you exactly just what. Timing belt hasn't been changed for about 100,000 kms. But the car was running perfectly when I took it in with the C E L on. Mechanic thinks it has to do with the ignition codes. The car is now locked in his garage until 16/01 (holidays) but he has a auto electrician coming to have a look on the 9/01

More then likely it may be related to a cam sensor or crank sensor code, (these are known for timing belts that become loose or are are missing teeth on the belt,) Very common for these vehicles! The average cost to replace the timing belt and all related components are $650.00, Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know if I can be of any other assistance to you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Mastertech1 We'll see what happens on the 9/01. My mechanic had mentioned the cam sensor , but I think it checked out o k . I guess the timing belt could have lost a tooth. But the fact that it was running perfectly , and then after key was left on , has failed to fire is a complete mystery to me !
If he got a code for the cam sensor, then he needs to take a good look at the timing belt,if belt checks to be good, then cam sensor or wiring or connections to the cam sensor are at fault, Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to have a great new year/ Wish you the best,And if I can help in any way please let me know!