Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada: tail lights..lights stay..parking..locking

I just put a new battery into my 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada and all 3 thrree tail lights stay on after parking and locking the SUV. Please help my battery is draining as I type this.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 2 years ago.

Ivan :

Hello and good evening. Do you know where the brake light switch is located?

Ivan :

Your JA Expert,

Ivan :

Ivan

Customer:

Hi. No I do not know where it is located. Can you help?

Ivan :

Yes, I'm going to upload a picture of its location and I would like you to unplug it and see if the lights go out. Give me a moment to upload a picture.

Customer:

ok

Ivan :

There will be a tab that you'll either lift or depress to remove the connector

Ivan :

This will naturally be under the driver's side of the dash, just above the brake pedal

Customer:

okay. after lifting this connector what next?

Ivan :

If the lights go out, the switch is responsible for the lights being on, and may be part of the reason for the battery failure. I will send you info on how to replace it if the lights go out. I'll stay available for you to see what happens.

Customer:

Please give me 5-10 minutes to check and I'll get back with you ASAP.

Ivan :

Absolutely

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be right back.

Customer:

i am having a hard time getting the cover off the steering column. It is taking me a long time because it very cold and my car is parked outside. Do you know the socket size for the cover? help

Ivan :

That lower cover should be held in by 7 mm bolts. You may need a 10 mm as well. Give me a moment. I'm going to tell you what fuse to pull so you won't miss new years and you can do this tomorrow. Hang on a moment

Customer:

okay

Ivan :

In the underhood fuse box, fuse # XXXXX is labeled ST/LP. It is a 25 amp fuse. Remove that fuse and the lights will be off. Tomorrow, go back to removing the cover and I'll log on in the morning and be available to you

Customer:

okay thank you have happy new year and I will chat with you tomorrow.

Ivan :

You too and you are welcome. Happy New Year

Customer:

Hello Ivan Happy New Year!!

Ivan :

Happy New Year to you as well!

Customer:

I am having trouble detaching that brake paddle control switch. it is hard to detach. please help.

Ivan :

I'm going to try to make notes on a picture. These connectors are indeed tricky.

Customer:

okay

Ivan :

On this picture, the connector would drop in from the top. In the direction of the blue arrow. In the vicinity of the red arrow, you need to depress the locking tab and that will let it release upward. Many times at these type of connectors there is a security clip that prevents the locking clip from disconnecting by accident. This clip will be in the vicinity of the green arrow and it is usually yellow, gray or white. This piece of plastic will prevent the locking tab from disconnecting and has to be removed first. It may or may not have one. See what things look like when you go back out.

Full Size Image

Ivan :

This picture is how the switch disconnects from the linkage but it gives you a better picture of how things look

Customer:

okay give me about 15 to 20 minutes and i will be back to let you know if it works.

Ivan :

Ok, I may run out for a few minutes, If I don't repond right away, I will as soon as I come back inside.

Ivan :

A screwdriver works good to push the locking tab in.

Customer:

okay

Customer:

Is there a way you can take off the entire bracket off the paddle itself? my fingers are too big I can't get it off. please help.

Ivan :

Yes, remove the entire switch. Use these instructions to go with the picture

Full Size Image

Ivan :

1. Remove the pushrod retainer (3) from the brake pedal pin (4).

2. Remove the stop lamp switch (1) and the pushrod (2) from the brake pedal pin (4).

3. Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the stoplamp switch (1).

Ivan :

You can unplug it when you get it off.

Customer:

okay, the bracket holding the harness looks different from mine. I will take a picture of it and send it to you in a few minutes.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Ivan. I am going to have to go out for a while. I will get back with you on this tomorrow. Sorry about the delay in getting this switch off. It's tough to do when you have a back injury. Please let me know by email what time you'll be in.

Ivan :

Ok, great, I 'll help you from there

Ivan :

Ok, pop that white cover off. With that off, it will look like my picture

Ivan :

Just respond when you get back into it. I'll be around. Look at the notes I just sent. You are in the right place.

Ivan :

Hello again, I'm just checking in on you to see how you are making out.

Customer:

Hello Ivan, I just need to know how to replace this switch once I get it off.

Ivan : Ok I'll upload the precedure. Did you get the old one off?
Customer:

Not yet! Waititng for the weekend because I am too busy during the week.

Ivan :

Fully understood. Here is the removal and installation instructions. That white cover on yours protects the retainer clip. When you remove that cover, you will see the clip that gets removed and everything will match these instructions.

Customer:

Okay. Thanks a lot!

Ivan :

Stop Lamp Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]124.06015037593985[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Installation Procedure

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]112.36363636363636[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

1. Install the electrical connector on the stop lamp switch (1).

2. Position the stop lamp switch (1) on the pushrod (2) and install on the brake pedal pin.

3. Install the pushrod retainer (3) to the brake pedal pin (4). The retainer will snap into place.

Ivan :

Darn pictures, I'm loading them now in their order

Ivan :

and now the second picture

Ivan :

Yes they are the same

Customer:

Hey Ivan, I don't see an image just: [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]124.06015037593985[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Ivan :

Look below, it has been doing that to me for a few days.

Customer:

got it. my concern is what do I do after getting this part off. Do you know the part no. to replace it and a price range, thanks.

Ivan :

Here is the info for a GM supplied switch

Ivan :

Stoplamp Switch15128874$38.54
Ivan :

You can get that through any GM dealership

Customer:

Thanks. I'll have to order this soon and get it put in by a mechanic.

Ivan :

Great. Let me know if you need anything as you proceed

Customer:

You have been a great help in getting my car problem solved. Thanks for your patience. Have a great week and weekend. Goodbye :)

Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.