George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

Florida and I have an old license plate for a car I sold several years

Customer Question

I live in Florida and I have an old license plate for a car I sold several years ago. Can I use that plate to register a vehicle that I plan to purchase? I actually have a couple of plates, one that expired in November of this year and another one that was for a vehicle I sold in 2005. I understand that I could save $400 to transfer the plate to my new vehicle but I want to know if I can use the older one, is there a time limit on being able to transfer a plate to a newer vehicle.

Thank you.

Monica Appleby
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

No there is a same year of registration time limit to transfer to the new plate but if it was a personalized plate and it is still available you can reclaim that tag paying the normal fee.

If you are buying a new vehicle you will have to pay the $225 new vehicle fee but if you can prove the old vehicle is no longer on the road and you disposed of it you can claim that to replace the fee.

If the vehicle was registered in the current year you can register it in your name without paying the fee.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We paid the registration fee in November of 2010 does that mean we had until November 2011 to transfer the plate or do we still have until December 31, 2011?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

On the newer plate you could transfer it during the period it was good. A new fee will have to be paid to register this vehicle now.

If this is a private party sale is the vehicle currently registered in Florida?

Tell me about the previous vehicle and what happened to it, if you have an armed forces affiliation and if the new vehicle is currently titled to a family member.