tech0405
tech0405, Technician
Experience:  Certified technican 10 years experience
22815973

2005 PT Cruiser: with a manual transmission..odometer..My mechanic

I'm looking at a 2005 PT Cruiser with a manual transmission and 109K miles on the odometer. My mechanic said not to buy it because it has a dual overhead cam engine that can involve expensive repairs. I love this little car. What's your take on this?
Category: Car
Expert:  tech0405 replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to just answer!

It does have a duel over cam engine they are more of a expensive repair when they do break because the labor and the parts are more money then a simple single cam engine but this is how it is for a lot of dual overhead cam engines they are most costly to fix but these engines are not bad and run good as long as they are maintained properly , we have seen issues with the fans not working and the engine overheating causing engine failure if the vehicle is driven too long this way also make sure the transmission is shifting good because they do tend to leak trans fluid . I hope this helps .

Please don't forget to click accept for my time and knowledge thank you