Tom Neff
Tom Neff, Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 30 + years of Automotive experience, previous SR71 aircraft mechanic, factory trained
7314103

1999 Isuzu Amigo: installed a rebuilt engine (V6 purchased

I have just installed a rebuilt engine (V6 purchased from a rebuilder) in a 1999 Isuzu Amigo. I cannot get it to start. When I first tried it seemed to fire a few times and then quit. Every time I pull the plugs out they are wet so it is getting fuel. I've pulled the plugs out and removed the fuel system relay and cranked it over to get rid of excess fuel in cylinders. I've done a compression check and cylinders are between 120-130 psi. Seems a bit low. I believe specs call for 145 PSI but engine has not run since being rebuilt and cylinders may be washed down with gas. I've checked each cylinder for spark and each one fires the plug with a bright blue spark. I've checked the timing on No. 1 cylinder while cranking and it is at 12 degrees BTDC. I finally decided that the fuel must have gone bad as it has been sitting for a year so removed old fuel and put in fresh fuel. Still will not start. I've tried removing the fuel relay and cranking over. After some cranking it starts to fire some but never starts. What am I missing? Any suggestions?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I do have some suggestions for you. Need to know if you have removed the exhaust from in front of the converters and attempted to start it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have not tried that. Are you thinking they might be plugged? old engine was running until timing belt broke and bent the valves
Yes, possible that the exhaust system took on a bunch of fuel and the converter/ converters overheated and are plugged , you have covered all the other bases, this should solve the problem for you.

Hope this helps.
please click on the ACCEPT button if I have answered all your questions. Please ask if you need more assistance Bonus
is always appreciated . I will post
positive feed back for you, please do
the same for me.

Thanks and God bless.

Tom

Tom Neff, Technician
Experience: ASE certified, 30 + years of Automotive experience, previous SR71 aircraft mechanic, factory trained
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom, I'm back again with the continuing Isuzu saga. Thought we had problem solved when I removed exhaust pipes and engine started. Turns out problem is not resolved. I had just taken pipes off and started it and then left. Next day I tried to start it and would not go, would fire sometimes and sometimes give a small backfire. I decided to check timing belt so removed it and retimed it. Did not change anything. Is it posible that I have a CKP or CMP sensor that is basically dead but occasionly comes back to life for a bit and makes the vehicle start? If the CKP wasn't working, could I still get an accurate timing reading? I'm leaning towards the CMP sensor is bad only because the engine seems to flood and I get a correct timing reading. Very difficult to get at, CKP sensor not much easier. Any more ideas on this problem? Which sensor woud you go after first?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Thought problem was resolved but it's not
You could try to unplug ckp or cmp and see what happens.
Reecekerley, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 25 years experience in the transmission and drive train industry.

Hi Again, Tom here.. If you have access to a scan tool , check your engine data while cranking to see if you are receiving the signal from the ckp and cmp. If not then replace the sensor/ sensors that are not showing any output. Check closely for pinched wiring in between the trans. bell housing and the engine as well.. let me know..

tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom. Thanks for your suggestions, scanner showed me signal from CKP but not from CMP. Replaced CMP but did not help. Finally decided to to tear engine down. Turns out camshafts were not timed properly and camshaft subgears not preloaded. Corrected camshaft timing and engine started right up. Have never had a problem with rebuilders workmanship in over 40 years. Kept thinking I was missing something in the work that I did.
Clayton
Hi Clayton... your peristance paid off. Glad that you finally got it, might want to put in a warranty claim to the builders to get back a refund for your time and efforts.
Tom Neff, Technician