Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

1987 samurai, runs sluggish with excerlation and wants to die out,

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX this get worse, when the engine warms up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it does seem too. i can run it good for a bit then it gets sluggish, almost stalling out.
i give it some time and it drives ok for a bit and reacts again.
thanks Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
then you most likely have a plugged cat converter in the exhaust, this will be more prevailent when it warms up, the metal inside the cat will swell when warm, and restrict the exhaust, and cause the lack of power and will stall, you can verify this by disconecting the exhaust in front of the cat converter and driving it and seeing if it has full power, this will be loud when driving, but it mill verify if the cat is plugged, you can also take it to an exhaust shop, and they can do an exhaust back pressure test, if the back pressure is more then 1 psi, then the cat is plugged, we charge 25 dollars for this test at my shop,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the cat is off the vehicle. i use it for hunting. last year the pipes fell off and the car still did not run so well. what about the sending unit? or the oxygen sensor?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
is the check engine light on, when driving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, the check engine light not on
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
have you tried to pull codes from the computer yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no. this vehicle ir not a registered road vehicle. so taking it any where would be trouble.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
so when its running, it idles smooth and runs smooth, but it is sluggish?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes. it will idle nice in the driveway. i take it out on the road and get it going and it looses power. when i give it gas, and kinda dies out and at times stalls out. wires and plugs all knew as well.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
have you checked the actual fuel pressure yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no. just also so you know, i'am not a mechanic. and also the vehicle basically sets and does not run. but always starts right up.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
well with otu know codes or without knowing the actual fuel pressure, it will be hard to diagnose it, most parts houses will loan you a pressure gauge to test the pressure, Autozone does this, and most others too, can you do this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i can try. how do you do it?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
first you need the fuel pressure gauge, and then you hook it up at the fuel filter, and then start the vehicle and see waht the pressure reading is,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. i will give it a shot. thanks Tim.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
you bet, let me know what the pressure reading is,Tim