Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

Suzuki Sidekick: 900 sputters..goes idles..fuel injected

I have a1989 Suzuki Sidekick when cold the idle goes up to about 2000 as it warms up it surges down to 900 sputters and goes back up when it is totally warm it idles between 1500&1800 and still surges sometimes.It is a 1.6 fuel injected 8valve motor
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now. Will return shortly

Tracer :

Ok, what you describe is a vacuum leak. I cant say where but.. the most common is a bad PCV hose. they get soft in spots and kind of develop a hole in them. you have to inspect the PCV hose real close for soft spots. Its the hose from top of valve cover and runs under the intake with PCV valve on end. If ok,, then cleaning of throttle body is next. then if ok you ned to spray carb cleaner all around hoses and gaskets with engine running and when you hit the leak? engine will stall or run better etc here is pic of the hose

Full Size Image