Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2000 isuzu rodeo: it was having issues accelerating from a dead stop

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Isuzu Redeo, with a few problems.
1. I took it to the shop a because it was having issues accelerating from a dead stop. The Transmision was replace @ 1 year ago. When moving seems slow at first but runs ok once it gets momentum. $1000 later and the issue still exists? No Power on take off.
When the ruck is running, the engine runs and idles fine... in park/ neutral the engine rebsup without hessitation. but in gear forward or reverse no pickup engine hessitates and after creeping ahead the engine will pick up momentum and we're off.
2. last week it broke down and wouldn't start (Gas Gauge isn't working so at first we figured it ran out of gas, but afterputting 5 gallons into it nothing). Tire to kick start it with a littlestarted fliud nothing. So I had it towed home and I:
Checked Spark (good, recently replace plugs i good contition)
Checked fuel pressure (good @ 40psi - although I have a new pump due to the need to fix the gas guage.
Compression test @ 110-120 on each cylinder.
Pulled the fuel enjector line loose and all the injectors seem to have a smooth and symetrical spray pattern. (Changer fuel filter)
Put it back together eventually got it to start and run, and took it ot the station and found ut it had 1/2 tank of gas.

Any suggestions or help wuld be greatly appreciated
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Is the engine currently starting and running?

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have managed to get the engine running. Last week it wouldn't start, at first we thought it was out of Gas because the gauge doesn't work (hasn't since we bought it a few years back). I put some in but still couldn't get it to start. Tried a little started fliud to see if I could get it to kick over, and when that failed I had it towed to the house.

On Saturday I checked for Spark (all seem Good), Fuel Pressure (@40), and even did a compression test on all cylinders (110-120psi Each). Loosened up the Fuel Enjector line and checked fuel flow and all the injectors seemed to have a symetrical Flow.

I put everything back together and got it started. Sunday My son said it acted up a littlem and then Yesterday once again it wouldn't start, but I eventually got it up and running with a little starter fluid as a boost and it seems to be starting with a little hessitation at first.

The Check Engine light does not work, I took it to Advanced Auto parts and I got codes for multiple misfires, and #6 Fuel Injector curcuit.... (I ordered a new Injector due in later today but doubt that is the main issue)

The issue with no power on take off from a dead started (stopping at a light or interection), is a much graver issue, it litterally is like a Flinstone car. In Park /Nuteral it rebbs up fine but in drive /reverse it litterally has no initial pickup. It will roll forward without giving it any gas, but hessites until it gets rolling a bit.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
You could have a bad mass air flow sensor. Or the snorkel from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body could be ripped. Both are very common and can cause you vehicle to loose power along with many other drive ability issues. First look for cracks or rips or anywhere air can enter the engine that is not accounted for by the mass air flow sensor. Next comes the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. This is a very important sensor input to the computer. It uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine. The MAF sensor then outputs an analog voltage signal to the PCM proportional to the intake air mass. The PCM calculates the required fuel injector pulse width in order to provide the desired air/fuel ratio. If the sensor is bad than this air/fuel ratio will be off causing severe performance issues. In extreme cases, I have seen these two problems cause a no start condition. This input can also be used in determining transmission Electronic Pressure Control, shift and torque converter clutch scheduling. The check engine light may even pop on if the sensor is bad, the snorkel is ripped or a tube has fallen off. This will result in a lean condition.
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there a way to test the the MAF

Eveything looks in order (like new) from the Air Filter to the Intake Manifold which I take it the MAF is the electronic housing unit with in plastic line between the Filter and Intake maifold

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
YES.. that is the mass air flow sensor. You can test it using a voltmeter or a scanner reading the grams per second
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Amedee,

Hey thanks for the hint?

FYI
Your answer was in the right ball park.... The MAP the MAF and the Trottle Body Control were all acting up (all intermittently).... Ughhhh!!! I just so happen to own 4 other Rodeo's and I had my worker bring one by the house to swap parts as to a trial of the issues...

Starting with the MAP ($56)- on change in my son's car but my workers truck was acting up a like and on the test run the worker truck went back an forth = same issue with the MAF ($53) and later the Trottle Body Control ($83).....when we swapped all 3 together my son's truck/ SUV was work (OK not perfect but better), and my worker's SUV ran like crap (not as bad as my Son's car was but not good)..

1st option was going to be changing out all 3 parts ---- but being the stingy tight wad I am... I tried a little carborator cleanner (on the parts /Senors) and cleaned them with a lint free rag//// and we tried it all over ---- and whallllaaahhh My Son's vehicle is running just fine (as is my workers SUV).... saved myself @ $190+....

Note to self - do not use started fliud to try and kick over the motor --- it leaves a film on the MAP / MFP and Throttle Body Senors---- LOL

Thanks again....

Joe

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Joe,

Thanks for the update!

I am glad to hear it is running good!

Best,

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Trying to leave you Positive feed back ??
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes the site will not let a customer leave feedback. You can if you want to accept another one of my answers, but you have already paid me and we are square. I would not want you to spend any more money on fixing this issue unless you really want to.

You can use the pull down on one of my answers and leave me a customer compliment. That would be greatly appreciated.

AMEDEE