Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist
Experience:  25 Years Experience Automotive Technology.
62741268

2002 Land Rover Discovery II..triped the alarm which may be locking me

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II. The ignition is locked-neither key I have will budge it. I have also triped the alarm which may be locking me out but either way the ignition is locked solid and wont budge.  I should mention that I set off the alarm AFTER i was already having the issue of being unable to turn the key. Any advice is appreciated! Claude
Category: Car
Expert:  Randy replied 5 years ago.

Randy :

Hello!

Randy :

I will assist you,

Randy :

Give me a few minutes to research and I will get your solution,

Randy :

Have you tried turning the steering wheel left and right while turning the key in the ignition, sometimes the column lock gets loaded up and won't release.

JACUSTOMER-fs644gxm- :

i am on a smart phone (not my computer any longer) so i am having some issues with the just ask site... are we on?

Randy :

Yes,

Randy :

only use the graphite lube for locks, WD-40 isn't good for it.

JACUSTOMER-fs644gxm- :

i am now at work not near vehicle

JACUSTOMER-fs644gxm- :

but

Randy :

okay, try these steps when you can,

Randy :

Tap the end of the key several times with a small hammer -- apparently this gets the stuck tumbler to fall right into place.

JACUSTOMER-fs644gxm- :

the steering wheel is now locked but was not when problem began

JACUSTOMER-fs644gxm- :

anything else?

Randy :

Try turning steering wheel side to side, put lube in ignition ,insert key and tap key with small hammer several times while trying to turn, if tumbler is stuck this will free it. If these steps fail you will have to replace ignition lock cylinder.

Randy :

Thank You! If I can be of further assistance PLEASE let me know! PLEASE click on Answer Accepted button! POSITIVE FEEDBACK Appreciated!!

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get paid for my work. If you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave negative feedback, I will opt out and let another expert answer your question. If you are not satisfied and have already paid, I will issue refund!

JACUSTOMER-fs644gxm- :

well... except for the tapping i have done the other steps...

JACUSTOMER-fs644gxm- :

i wont be abvle

JACUSTOMER-fs644gxm- :

i wont be able to try the tapping until this evening