FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Pickup: v6..runs great..fuel pressure..no leak in intake manifold

Customer Question

1998 Chev pickup v6 vehicle has had a history of intermittent missing for a minute or so. Then motor runs great. No error codes, no fuel pressure problems, no electric issues, no leak in intake manifold. NOW VEHICLE WON'T START!!
When I turn the ignition key on the motor turns over i/2 revolution or so it seems. Then it comes to a dead stop. The amp and other gauges on dash show what I would discribe as a dead short, the needles flip over as far as they can. But the motor won't turn over enough to start.
Would the computer be the issue, being the vehicle is in Hawaii and salt in the air here destroys the electronics of most kitchen appliances in 2 years if they are near the ocean?
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 2 years ago.

BOBBY :

Hello JACUSTOMER, this can be caused by a number of different issues. I would start by checking the connections at the starter and making sure that the batter cable is in good shape. You really need to do an OHM test on it with a meter. If these items are fine then the problem may be a bad crank position sensor or a bad ignition switch.

Customer :

the truck has a history of running great, then start missing for a minute with just about total lack of power. But the truck continues to run. Then it starts to run smoothly again. The issue of not running only started after a number of times when the motor has has repeated intermittent missing bouts. Putting a charger on the battery has appeared to give the battery a increase which has enabled it to start, after which it runs smoothly.

Customer :

The bad crank, and ignition switch possibilities would not be an issue in the motor missing intermittently issue.

BOBBY :

Okay, are we having a problem with the engine cranking and not starting right away or a no crank condition? Or are we more concerned with the misfire?

Customer :

I thought that they might bee related. However, I went out to start the truck today and the battery was sufficiently low that it would not engage. Put charger on it for 2 hours and it spun over quidkly and ran. When it runs it runs very well, until it has it's missing spell. The misfore lasts aboujt 1 maybe 2 minutes and then you are off to the races again.

Customer :

What made me think they were related is the manner in which the started engaged but would not turn over the motor. The starter engaged, with sufficient force or seemingly fast enough that it should have turned over. Yet for 3 times it stopped dead after initially engaging and the gauges on the dash would flip over as if they are receiving lots of amps. I stopped trying to start the motor in hopes that in the contition that the truck was acting I could determine what was wrong. Unfortunate the next time the battery would not turn the motor over, and now it runs just fine.. Until next time..

Expert:  FixItMan replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 2 years ago.
Okay. The battery sounds like it may be getting low mostly because the vehicle does not want to start very well. The misfire and the hard start is typically due to a bad fuel injection unit on this vehicle. The injection unit gets clogged and and causes the poppet valves to stick and not open and close correctly.