Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist
Experience:  25 Years Experience Automotive Technology.
62741268

Land Rover..It has trailer hitch wiring installed

Customer Question

I have a 08 Land Rover LR3 HSE. I just got it. It has trailer hitch wiring installed. I went to add a trailer brake controller and found the connector was in use. The wires led to the lower console. I found a hole in the console and could see cut off wires inside. I found mounting bracket hole in the console. Someone just cut the controller off and pushed the wires back into the console. I plugged in the new controller and found no +12 present. I checked fuse F8, in back of the glove box, (30 amp) was blown. Replaced and still no 12v. The hot side of the fuse socket is hot with 12 volts. The wire from the controller connector is pink with white stripe. The cold side of the fuse does not connect to the controller connector(pink w/ wh)
Category: Car
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

Randy :

Hello!

Randy :

I will be glad to assist you,

Randy :

Give me a moment to get your info,

Customer:

OK

Randy :

The Electric Trailer Brake Module is Link 6,

Randy :

I will get location for you,

Customer:

the heavy wire, pink w/wh, is visible coming from the fuse block. I measured from the cold side of the fuse to the connector that goes into the new controller. (pink w/wh. The wire shows open. something has cut the wire??

Customer:

What is Link 6?

Randy :

There is a fuse link in the wire that is open,

Customer:

A fuse link besides the 30 amp in the fuse block? Where is the link? Can I copy and print the diagram?

Randy :

Yes, it is PDF, can you view it?

Customer:

Yes, I see LINK 6. It shows the 30 amp fuse that I found blown and I replaced. If not 12v, what could be broken path?

Customer:

What is the difference between a fuse and a LINK?

Randy :

Give me another moment,

Customer:

My ones manual shows this as fuse 8.

Customer:

That is Owners Manual.

Randy :

The fuse is plastic with element in middle and visible, the link is usually a place in the wire that is fused, just a thick spot near end and solid color

Randy :

Let me check on location of the # XXXXX link.

Randy :

you can cut the fuse link out and replace with another,

Customer:

So fuse 8, a 30 amp, that was blown and replaced, was not the only fusible element? The wire bundle goes up into the dash from the controller connector. No lump visible. Any idea where to look. Why would their be two 30 amp fuses in one wire?

Customer:

Diagram does not show fuse 8 and a second LINK?

Randy :

This box is under hood,

Randy :

Have you checked those?

Customer:

NO I have not. I am looking at the fuses under the hood in my owners manual. It does not show a LINK 6. Fuse 6 shows ign coils. Inside fuse block shows as trailer pick up as 8 names the color as GREEN. The wire going to the controller is pink/wh. Confusing.

Randy :

Yes, it is, we will figure it out,

Customer:

Manual speaks of Fuseable Links FL1 to FL20, but does not say where they are.

Customer:

The inside fuse block does not show ANY pink/wh wires in the list.

Randy :

The fuse panel under hood has junction box underneath it,

Customer:

The links are under the fuse block under the hood?

Randy :

Yes,

Customer:

So, I should find a LINK6 under the fuse block? The inside fuse 8 is related to the path with link 6?

Customer:

Looking for link6 on diagram

Customer:

Do you see link6 on the diagram? A hint?

Randy :

Fuse 8 inside compartment is for is for trailer fuse, purple, green, brown wire.

Randy :

I am looking for link 6,

Customer:

The controller has a different fuse? Link 6??

Randy :

yes,

Customer:

Not finding Pink/wh or link 6 or ref. to controller on this second diagram.

Customer:

OK so can have a blown trailer fuse and a controller fuse blown also.

Customer:

Can you find another diagram showing link 6?

Customer:

Whoever just chopped through the controller wires when hot, blew two fuses, i suspect.

Customer:

I got that image. Any idea how to trace to link 6?

Randy :

yes, you will have to identify then test pink/white wire in junction box

Randy :

looks simple

Randy :

just kidding

Customer:

Ha Ha OK, I will do that in the morning. Are you on duty tomorrow if I need more advice? Does this case stay open?

Randy :

yes you can come back to this post,

Customer:

Is there another diagram showing Link 6. not a photo.

Randy :

im still searching the landrover database

Randy :

I found it,

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I see it. 30A. Thanks. Good work. I will chase it in the morning. Bye for now, Roy

Randy :

Thank You! If I can be of further assistance PLEASE let me know! PLEASE click on Answer Accepted button! POSITIVE FEEDBACK Appreciated!!

Randy, Auto Specialist
Experience: 25 Years Experience Automotive Technology.