Clifton B.
Clifton B., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Master Auto Tech
6166830

2012 Nissan: im considering..considering buying..its a turbo engine

i'm considering buying a new 2011 or 2012 Nissan Juke S. I like everything about the car except that it's a turbo engine. No choice in this. I want a low maintenance car like my previous Toyota Rav4 and Celica GT. What is your experience with reliability and maintenance issues with turbo charged engines? If you know about the Juke specifically - that would be better. Thank You.
Category: Car
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 2 years ago.
hi, i work at a Nissan dealer , and i have not seen much whit this car at all, i have seen one that was leaking gas from a line that was loose and one that a turbo hose blow off but that is it , the car is a really nice and a very well built car, i don't think you will have problem whit it , if you have more question please ask .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know that the first few years for the care (while under warranty) - I'll be going to a dealership for maintenance. Will it cost me more to service a turbo charged engine. If something goes wrong with a turbo engine - how much more is it to repair?

I'm really good at keeping cars running if I know what I need to do. My Rav4 was a brand new 1998 I bought and it went 230,000 miles with original engine before car accident. I would like the Juke to go for a long time. Just not familiar with turbo engines and not comfortable with it being maybe more complicated to maintain.

Thanks.
there is no extra maintenance that you have to do , just the normal oil filters tire rotation brakes when needed , the plug last till 105,000 miles coolant, trans fluid at 60,000 miles and thats it , yes there is more parts whit the turbo but that dos not mean they are going to brake . except for the extra part the part cost the same money the labor may be a little more yes .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Originally, I was not going to consider the Juke because the Nissan site gave impression that car was ONLY available as a manual transmission. I have a daily 50 mile commute with heavy traffic - so, automatic is a must. Then, when I went to a dealer to test drive - I was surprised to find out that the Juke comes with the option to drive either as manual or automatic. Personally, I would only drive it as automatic. This is the reason I'm now considering the Juke even though I'm not happy with it being turbo charged engine. Would I cause any problems for the engine if I never use the manual option that is available?
no this will not be a problem my Nissan have the same thing and 99% of the time i drive in auto never had a problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Something about turbo makes me nervous and uncomfortable. I don't know anything about cars and really want to buy something that is low maintenance and hassle free. I will do everything i can to make sure the car is problem free (timely oil changes, tune ups, etc.). I've purchased 2 Toyota's (both brand new) in the last 25 years and each one went the distance (on original engine) before it gave out. Outside of normal wear and tear - do you think there are any issues I should take into consideration with this turbo charged engine?

If I'm lucky, am a reasonable good owner and do whatever I can to maintain the Juke - what is your "best guesstimation" as to how many miles a brand new original engine can handle? I usually drive a minimum of 18,500 miles/year (on average). Nothing extreme. Just going to work and around town on the weekends. I'm not a fast driver.
With this answer; just your opinion and best guess. I know you can't guarantee how many miles it'll go?
the car is new to Nissan and me so i cant say but this engine have been in use in japan for over 5 years in other cars and from what they told me when i went to the training they do not have any problem whit the engine , plus Nissan engines are very good and can last a very long time as long as you take care of it , you should get 200.000 or more from this engine bass on what i have been told by the pll at Nissan .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the answers.

Here's a question that you still may help with even though you're not in sales. Base on what you hear around work - is there a real real good time for me to go in and make a deal either in December or January? Looking for some inside info. on when I can get the best deal? I'm looking up the MSRP and The Dealer Invoice to find that price that I can negotiate with. I'm ready to buy now. Just trying to figure out budget and then see if there is a great day to go in? Last day of the month? Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, or Day?? Any tip you have would be great!! Thanks!
i would go in the last day of the month because they are looking to close out as much invoice /deals as possible but go before the end of the year if you can get a 2011 and not a 2012 you may get a better deal and Nissan do have a end of year sale going on now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great!! Thank You Clifton. Before I sign off and make sure you get paid... How do I get in touch with you again if I have future questions about Nissans??

Thanks.
-k
you can just come back here and do a repost and direct your question to my by name .
Clifton B., Auto Service Technician
Experience: Master Auto Tech