Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1996 Pontiac Grand Am: liter..misfire on nol. 4 cylinder..coils

I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am with a 2..4 liter quad engine. I have a misfire on NOl. 4 cylinder, code P0304. Have had this problem before, changed both coils and it solved the problem. Having same problem again and changed crank sensor, solved the problem for about a month. Problem back again, same code. Changed crank sensor again, did not solve problem. Installed new spark plugs and checked fuel injectors with noid light, checked out good. Switched coils one side to the other, still have misfire. Cylinder compression all within specs.
Please advise,
Thanks, [email protected]
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

i think i may be able to help you here

tims auto repair :

are you there?

this problem is most of the time caused by a bad coil housing..this is the hard plastic piece that covers the coils and sits down on the plugs..these can be bad even if they look new.....and,it is possible to get a bad new one........

replace the coil housing and install new plug boots..i would think this will fix you

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP