Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

2004 jeep wrangler: a trnsmission torque converter problem..warning

I have a 2004 jeep wrangler right hand drive, if it had a trnsmission torque converter problem what would be my warning

common symptoms of a failing torque converter may include the following, but may not exhibit all the symptoms:

• engine stalls when putting in gear from park
  • jolt felt when slowing down to a stop
  • dropping in and out of Overdrive or drive
  • shudder/vibration felt from 30mph and higher
  • harsh downshifting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It shifts smoothly like it should I hear no loud or overt noises, what does the code po740 stand for? It does not jolt or vibrate it rode very smoothly I have no overt problems that stand out ....should I reflush system or replace the torque converter?

P0740 is for TCC solenoid malfunction. This is the torque converter clutch solenoid,.

this code can be for a faulty TCC solenoid, faulty torque converter, or short/open in the TCC solenoid wiring harness.

As you are not having any symptoms for either a faulty TCC solenoid or faulty torque converter, I would start by reflushing the torque converter, erasing the fault codes in the computer and seeing if the code returns.

If it does, then the next step is to have a diagnostic scanner command the TCC solenoid on and off to see if it is responding to commands. If it doesnt, then TCC solenoid needs to be replaced. If it does respond to commands, then torque converter should be replaced