Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

1994 Cutlass: about 20 mph..losing power..starter..changed battery

I have a 1994 Cutlass 3100 my wife was driving at about 20 mph almost home about 3 houses away when it started losing power and cut off. Now its hard to turn over checked starter ok, changed battery still slow to turn over. Car has 210.000 miles on it help me out here before I start buying parts. I had asked JHoop about raising the motor up to replace the timing belt. Should I drain the oil out first to check for metal shavings in the oil. Or do you think it could be the timing chain. She said the car didn't make any noises just died. Everything I've read says the oil pan has to come off to replace the timing chain.All the information I can get will be helpful as far as how to do this job. I do pretty good with my tools,just like to have as much information as I can get.

Kalamykid :

Yes the first thing you need to do will be to drain the oil and see if it has a metalic color. The timing chain will not cause this problemSO you can focus on other things for now. Try pulling the spark plugs out and see if the engine will turn over faster.

Customer:

Would I need to take all the plugs out

Kalamykid :

Yes

Customer:

If it turns faster would it be an injector problem. car was running fine just came back from Fl. Checked oil it was still full.

Kalamykid :

If it tuns over faster see if any fluids come out such as gas or coolant.

Kalamykid :

From the sounds of it you may have spun a bearing " rod or main", and this is not letting the engine turn over fast enough.

Customer:

OK I did have the upper & lower intake gasket replaced about 7 months ago.

Customer:

If thats the case would it be best to rebuild the bottom end or just replace the engine

Kalamykid :

With the cost of a good used engine, it would be more cost efective to replace it with a lower milage motor.

Customer:

Ok. Thank for the information.That was what my first thought was that she spun a bearing car body is in good shape and I had just replaced the the calipors and structs on the rear. to much money in it now to just crush it.

Kalamykid :

Berfor you condem the engine pull the plugs and see if it turns over any faster, if it does not then you are looking at replacement of the crank or the engine itself.

Customer:

Ok thanks alot you've been very helpful

Kalamykid :

Sorry to have to give you bad news.

Customer:

Its Ok at least now I know

Kalamykid :

Let me know what you find when you pull the spark plugs out.