Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member

Element: Neal..the vehical off the line..horsepower

Neal, the inormation you gave me was very helpful. It leaves me with one additonal question though. If tourque is the actual useful engine output, and this number accounts for propelling the vehical off the line, then provides passing power as well, what is the functional element of having more horsepower? What can a car with 200 of touque and 300 horsepower do vs car with 300 hp and 200 of tourque? what would be the advantage?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
just inpatient, my expert hppened to be offline
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just answer!
I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.
Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Ok....Although torque is basically the pull power you have....however, torque and horsepower are related:
The power (horsepower) = the torque x the engine speed

That is why saying a vehicle has 200 hp or 300 Nm (or lbs.ft) is inaccurate....

As a vehicle would have a maximum horsepower of 300hp at 5600 rpm (example)
And a vehicle would have a maximum torque of 200 N.m (or lbs.ft) at 4000 rpm...(example)

So basically having more torque would imply having more horsepower....

However, to have more pull power (to get an advantage), an engine would give the maximum torque from low rpm....example giving 200 N.m of torque from 1500 rpm till 4000 rpm...
Having high torque at low rpm would give you more pull power...and would give you less fuel consumption (as you would not need to get to a lower gear when more power is needed....)

Hope this is clear enough...

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me on this page, if follow up is needed.....Click on the ACCEPT button so i get credited for my work (positive feedback and bonuses appreciated)...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So if it is a direct corrolation, how can two 200hp engines provide differing amounts of tourque?

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

My apologies for the delay....

Exactly....direct correlation!

The numbers would be different as the maximum torque is obtained at the mid rpm (around 3000 to 4000 rpm), but the maximum power is obtained at almost max rpm (5000 to 6000 rpm)....

example:
one engine has a max torque of 200 N.m at 3500rpm...but at 6000rpm it has 90N.m, would have the same power (max) of an engine having a max torque of 300 N.m at 3500rpm....but at 6000 rpm it has also 90N.m...

Both engines have same max power (calculated at high rpm)....but one has a higher torque (max torque) at mid rpm....

This is at the core of engine calculations....as all the new technologies we see (variable valve timing, variable intake manifold length, direct injection etc...) all aim at giving more torque at low rpm...which gives more pull power...and at the same time increase fuel efficiency.....(as you will burn less fuel if the engine is running slower at same throttle)..

Hope this is clear enough.....but get back to me if you need more info...

Regards,
Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.