nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

altima: dry pavement to have only 1/3 of the total possible studs

Studded Tires : I was told it was better for security reasons on dry pavement to have only 1/3 of the total possible studs on winter tires is that true and if so which ones should I remove on our fully studded General Altimax Arctics. thanks.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

Actually, on dry pavement, it is better not have any studs at all.

Billy :

The friction is best (highest) between the caoutchouc and the dry pavement....with no metallic (or synthetic) studs whatsoever.

Billy :

And when you have ice, snow etc...you need to have as much studs (all of them on)....

Billy :

So, the advice would come as follows: When in summers....dry roads....hot roads...or even wet roads.....use normal tyres.......and when in winter, use the arctic tyres with full studs on.

Billy :

Removing some of the studs, would give you a slightly better "dry" traction....so this would really be a compromise (and not a good one, as mentioned earlier)...

Billy :

But if you want to take some of the studs, you should remove as following:

Billy :

- you have two arches, on the tyres....one on the left side....and another on the right side of the wheel....these arches running all along the wheel...contain the studs.....follow the arch....and for 1/3 result....remove two, then keep one....then remove the other two etc....do this on both sides.

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me on this page, if follow up is needed.....Click on the ACCEPT button so i get credited for my work (positive feedback and bonuses appreciated)...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/