rlc532
rlc532, Technician
Experience:  12 years experience as professional automotive repair and service technician.
60580180

Galant: veh..both upper and lower rad hoses are..cooling fans

Customer Question

2002 mit galant 4 cyd auto. no heat. when veh is running and both upper and lower rad hoses are hot and the cooling fans run on and off. i felt both the inlet and outlet hoses that go to the heater core at the fire wall. both are not hot. inlet or out let. so i unhook inlet hose where it goes into the fire wall. there is just a very little stream of coolant dripping out of the hose. so i unhook other hose the outlet. no water at all. many shops have told me reason for no heat a clogged heater core. othes say water flow valve in dash that is ran by small elec motor is stuck shut. i dont care if the core is clogged or the valve is stuck shut. your still not going to get any heat if there is no hot coolant going to the heater core thru the heater hoses. what could be causeing the coolant not to be going thru hoses? yes i put a new thomostat in veh first thing. coolant seems to be going from upper rad hose into engine and back out lower rad hose into rad ok. engine not overheating. veh runs fine. just no dang heat. no sweet smell in veh. no wet carpet.no coolant on inside of windshield. help please. thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. I'm Dj and I will work with you on this.

Dj :

It sounds like you have an air pocket in the heater core. This is a pretty easy fix.

Dj :

You will need one of these.

Dj :

They are available at just about any parts store.

Dj :

Get the front of of the car up higher than the rear as much as you can safely do. Then attach the funnel and fill it up. Run the engine at full operation temperature and at around 1500 - 2000 RPM. The heater must be on when you do this.

Dj :

This will purge the air pocket and you will have heat.

Customer :

there is no coolant going to heater core. no coolant coming from engine to heater core thur heater hoses. like there something in heater hose or at engine that is keeping coolant from flowing thur hoses to heater core.i dont understand how i car burp heater core if there is no coolant going to core. please exp

Dj :

This is a very common problem with a fairly simple solution. The reason this happens is that the heater core sits higher than the engine. And if there is an opening in the cooling system coolant will drain out of the heater and you will get no heat.

Dj :

An opening in the cooling system can be a leak, a recent repair, or anything that allows air into the system.

Dj :

Dj

Customer :

Ok I did as you exp to do today. Got funnel jack up car filled funnel let veh run for 30 mins.

Customer :

still no heat. I again took heater hoses off at fire wall there is still no coolant going to heater core. Is there another valve on the engine that maybe keeping coolant from going to heater core? I dont think the heater core will burp out any air if there is no coolant going to it.

Dj :

There is no other valve.

Dj :

Was the coolant level in the funnel higher than the top of the heater core? That is what is necessary for this to work.

Dj :

Dj

Customer :

I had the front of the car jacked up about 1 1/2 foot as far as my jack would go. still no water going to heater core from engine.

Dj :

Have you tried running the water from a garden hose through the heater core? It's not likely it's plugged, but it's an easy test.

Dj :

When you disconnect a hose from the heater core, does coolant come out? If it doesn't, it would indicate that you still have an air pocket. How about unhooking one hose and using the garden hose to try to fill the heater core and the hoses.

Dj :

I didn't see it in the notes, but have you checked the heater control valve?

Dj :

Dj

Customer :

there is no coolant going from engine to heater core. so because of that there is no coolant " to " come out of heater core. if there is no coolant going into core there is no coolant to come out. what i need to find out is why there is no hot coolant from engine. nothing comes out of the inlet hose from engine. could something be plugged up?

Customer :

maybe the heater hose has some kind of gunk in it. I agree with you I could not find any control valve at the engine that could be stuck closed. as best as I can tell the heater hose hooks to the stat housing at the engine side. then goes right to the core without any valve.

Customer :

The heater control valve is inside the dash by the heater core. You have to R&I str colm,seats,air bags then dash to get to core and valve . I really would not want to do this untill I get coolant to heater core. I will try to run the water hose into the inlet side of core and see what will happens. If nothing I will try to run it into the outlet side of core. I'm have a hard time looking at this veh because he is still drives it every day. Thanks for your imput on this. Its got me pulling my hair out. Im to old,fat and lazy to pull the dash out of this car so he may end up taking it to the dealer. ay 89.00 dollars per flat rate hour.

Expert:  rlc532 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Welcome to Just Answers! I will assist you with your question.
You are on the right track thinking something has plugged the hose/passage. You need to check the thermostate this is where I would start, make sure it is working and installed correctly (spring side toward engine) . Then remove the heater hose at the engine and back flush to see if you can get water to flush whatever out also ensure the hose is not obstructed.