SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology
49697172

cant engage 4 wheel drivelights come on but doesnt engage

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer, My name is Danny I am here to help.

This is a direct indication there is a failure with the 4WD motor which actually turns and allows changing the vehicle into 4WD. You will want to get a replacement 4WD motor this attaches right at the transfer case and ite very easy to replace. Thanks

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
motor is working butnotengaging andlights come on withomt switch
Not sure what you mean above, at one time you state the lights are working now you are saying the lights come on by themselves???
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the lights work with switch and sonetimes they come on by themselves
There is either a problem with the switch or the motor. If the lights come on randomly I would suspect the 4wd switch causing it not to work properly it can be signalling the motor to lock and unlock consistantly you will need to test this and ensure the motor is getting proper voltages when commanded to the on and off positions. If so and it still doesnt engage properly than I suspect the motor. If the motor is turning but there is no 4WD engagement on either wheel you need to check the HUBS as this would be the next cause. Thanks

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hubs r ok as you can putin by putting in 3washer on end of hub
This sounds like the transfer case itself than if everything is good the unit engages but 4wd doesnt work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am being told it is a vacuum problem can u verify if it is a common problem please
very possible if there are any leaks