Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

Me in the middle of driving the steering wheel wont move

Customer Question

my car froze up on me in the middle of driving the steering wheel wont move.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 2 years ago.

Ivan :

Hello and good evening. Was the engine still running though this incident? Also, were any of the warning lights on?

Ivan :

Your JA Expert,

Ivan :

ivan

Customer:

I was driving on a local street going about 35 mph and I felt the steering wheel go stiff and the brakes were harder than ever. I tried to steer the car to the side with as much power that was left, I pulled the emergency brake and put the car in park. After that it didn't start for about 25 minutes. I know the brakes need work.

Ivan :

If the steering stiffened and the brakes hardened up, it sounds as if the cars stalled on you while in motion. Does that sound like a possibility?

Customer:

Definitely.

Ivan :

Ok, good. Did it shut off suddenly or did you feel it sputter first?

Customer:

No it definitely shut off suddenly.

Ivan :

Did you have a check engine light on when the car finally restarted?

Customer:

Actually the check engine light has been on for a while now; I've paid up to $600 to see what was wrong and they could not figure it out; It's been over a year, it is an old car and I'm trying to see if I could take it a few more months.

Ivan :

Ok, here is what we should do. It is very possible that you developed a new issue, that set a code, but since you already had an engine light on, you wouldn't have any indication that something new was wrong. I am suspecting a crankshaft positioning sensor, but I'd like to do something first. Large parts stores like Pep Boys and Autozone offer code retreival for free. See if you can utilize that service and find out what codes are in memory. Then let me know those code numbers that you are told. I'll assess them and see if any of those faults could cause your stalling. This way, it should minimize any cost that you may be facing. Make sure they give you the actual numerical codes. You can give me them whenever you get them.

Customer:

OK, thanks for your help. Have a good night.

Ivan :

Your welcome, you too. Just post your findings to this question and we'll continue. We'll figure this out.