Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Can I take off a muffler without damaging my truck?

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

YES! You can remove the muffler without damaging anything. However, be sure not to remove the converter or either of the o2 sensors. All of that emissions components need to stay on the vehicle.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How far up on the muffler is the converter and o2 emmisions?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
IT is different with every exhaust system. Anywhere from a few inches to a few feet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I have a dodge ram 3500 slt 5.9L 4x4 long bed crew cab dually diesel truck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could u possibly give an estimate about how far on the muffler are the sensors with that information?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok... this is a different story.

This may affect the engine because it is diesel. I have never done it and would not recommend removing the exhaust because it may cause issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The reason I want to take off the muffler is because I want to make my truck sound extremely badass. What should I do?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Well, you can certainly try and remove the muffler and see if that helps. I have never done it on a diesel and would normally not recommend doing so. However, as long as it is down stream away from the engine and emission components, you might just be ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah the engine is in the front like normal and the exhaust system is located under the bed of the truck.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Then you should be ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Normally in a diesel where are the converters located in the exhaust?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Between the engine and muffler
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you! Have a great holiday!
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
YOu too!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. My truck just broke down on the freeway and the entire engine and under the hood smells like diesel pretty strong. What might be the matter with it?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

I think it would be better if you started a new question. You can do this by going to the home page. www.justanswer.com