Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Parking Brake Rattle

Customer Question

Parking Brake Rattle
Submitted: 4 years ago via HelpOwl.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
What year and model is the car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Pickup. Resembles the 2001 models, not the 1999 models. The sound characteristics of the rattle resemble that of tin or a coat hanger sound. It might go for a day or two without sound, then one bump will trigger a couple of days worth of rattling.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Definately from the rear correct ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, the sound emanates by my left foot, somewhere between the release handle & the foot pedal. I can't duplicate the sound by putting my head down there while I'm driving. Never rattles when truck is standing still, regardless if engine running or off.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
This can very well be the issue.
There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. Here is what it states.
Bulletin No.: 03-03-08-002B
Date: November 30, 2005
Rattle/Squeak from Front of Vehicle (Replace Lower Portion of Upper Insulator Assembly)
2002-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2000-2005 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
2000-2005 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
This bulletin is being revised to update the correction and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-03-08-002A (Section 03 - Suspension).
Some customers may comment on a rattle or squeak type noise coming from the front of the vehicle.
The front shock absorber plastic pilot ring may be wearing out, causing the shock to misalign in the insulator.
DO NOT replace the shock. Replace the lower portion, P/N 15834275 , of the upper insulator assembly using the procedure listed below. This new insulator has a taller plastic pilot ring that is attached to the metal sleeve to aid in the proper alignment of the insulators.
1. Remove the front shock absorber. Refer to the Shock Absorber Replacement procedure in the Front Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual.
I would check this next . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not applicable. Sound stops during the time that I am HALFWAY lifting the brake release handle. If I lift it all the way--rattle resumes. If I leave the parking brake handle alone, the rattle resumes. I know enough that parking brake mechanism does not impact shock absorber assembly mentioned in the answer that I do not accept. Thank you anyway.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Not a problem then most likely the cable is stretched causing this issue .Best of luck.