JASON
JASON, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER AND L1 ADVANCED AUTO TECH 17 YEARS EXP, 6 YEARS GM DEALER, 2 YEARS FORD, 2 YEARS TOYOTA,7 YEARS CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP RAM
5809586

2008 Saturn: front end..the car back several dashboard warning lights

My wife wrecked her 2008 Saturn a year ago with about 4000 damage to the front end. After we got the car back several dashboard warning lights came on. We took it back to the dealer and they reset some computer things. This happened twice. Since then about once a month or so my wife will go out and try to start the car but the battery is dead. We can jump start it with no problem and it is fine for a few weeks. Oddly this only happens when the low fuel warning light is on she says.We have had it back to two different dealers four times but they cannot find the problem. Never happens two days in a row. The car runs fine otherwise and the battery checks out OK. Any ideas.
Category: Car
Expert:  JASON replied 5 years ago.

JASON :

sounds like a draw, the computer is not going into sleep mode, when the fuel light is on and it does not start would be the perfect time to check it for a draw above 50 miliamps

Customer:

So would replacing the computer be a possible remedy? We would have to have it towed to a garage to do the check you suggest.

JASON :

I would let the dealer have it when it does not start, call that insurance company and explain to them that this has been doing this since the accident, the dealer can diagnose it for the draw, if you can get it to them at the same time the car does not start, they can check all powers to see which one is staying on, by the fuel light being on could be effecting any of the computers on the car, even the cluster, the pcm, or any other module, with the draw present from it not starting they should be able to pin point which one.

Customer:

ok thanks.