Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist
Experience:  25 Years Experience Automotive Technology.

Land Rover Range Rover HSE: my key is stuck in the ignition

Customer Question

my key is stuck in the ignition and wont come out. the cr is turned off and on park and when i open the door it says ignition lock. how do i unlock it and get my key out of the ignition?
i drive a supercharged range rover
Category: Car
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

Randy :

Hello!

Randy :

I will assist you,

Customer :

thank you

Randy :

Is the key original or replacement key,

Customer :

its a new key.. a copy

Customer :

we got it done at range rover like 2 weeks ago

Customer :

its the first time its happened

Randy :

I believe it is not correct cut,

Customer :

but i got the key done at range rover

Randy :

Try disconnecting negative side battery cable then remove key,

Customer :

o my. okay. so what does this mean

Customer :

what is that.. how do i do that?

Randy :

The ground on your car battery,

Customer :

sorry i dont understand.. u can please break it down to me. i dont know much about cars.

Customer :

likestep by step

Randy :

Your battery has is located under hood, it has a +(positive side) and a -(negative side) the negative side will be a black cable,

Customer :

so i just pull the black cable?

Customer :

out

Customer :

?

Randy :

No I will get you diagram, give me a moment

Customer :

ok

Customer :

r u still there?

Randy :

Yes,

Customer :

ok just making sure thanks.

Randy :

When replacing the battery on Range Rovers, you should leave one of the doors open (preferably the drivers door) to prevent being locked out. This should prevent the locking system from automatically locking the vehicle and arming the alarm when the battery is being disconnected. Then, disconnect the battery negative lead first, and complete the replacement procedure normally. Afterwards, you need to put the key in the ignition to reset the alarm system and ignition transponder. You also need to key in the radio code to get it working again, and resynch the windows and sunroof. This procedure is described in the owners handbook.

Randy :

ignore the gray battery,it is pic of new battery that will be installed, your battery will be like the one at front of picture

Customer :

but we r not replacing the battery though?

Randy :

Right, it was just in picture, You will need to loosen cable end, and leave off while you try and remove key

Customer :

so leave the passenger door open. loosen the black cable on the battery. and try taking the key out of the ignition?

Randy :

Leave drivers door open,

Customer :

oka.

Customer :

okay**

Randy :

Thank You! If I can be of further assistance PLEASE let me know! PLEASE click on Answer Accepted button! POSITIVE FEEDBACK Appreciated!!

Customer :

okay i will try that and let you know how it goes thanks for your help

Randy :

Your Welcome! Good Luck!