Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

car paint expert I want to apply Alsas stretch chrome. Has

car paint expert
I want to apply Alsa's stretch chrome. Has anyone used it and what is the tools necessary and set up necessary to do a pro job. I've looked on there website and all it says is a heat gun and felt squeegee.
What I want to know are the tools to hold the object to be stretch chromed and the best methods.
Category: Car
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 3 years ago.

I am a moderator for this category and I see you haven't gotten a response yet. I'm not sure there are any Experts online with the specific expertise you're looking for-how would you like to proceed?

We can email you when a Expert is ready for you, if you like.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a vinyl application but the film stretches. Supposedly making it easier to apply. If you can find an expert that is familiar with this particular film I'd appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

There is a product made in Chine by a company called Alsa's and they offer a stretch chrome product, that I am familiar with. This product has the appearance of chrome, but it lacks some to be desired in durability, especially when it is stretched. Products like this have been around for years. Many high end sign makers have used this type of product, and it has been used in chrome, and gold versions on automotive graphics on race cars, and vehicles with advertizing on them. In certain instances it can look amazingly good, but because it is fundamentally a plastic product, it cant come anywhere close to the durability of chrome plating. If you have a local sign shop that does high end graphics, they will most likely have similar products in stock. Real chrome plating isn’t as hard to do as you might think, you can actually buy small kits, and use a large battery charger for the power supply to electroplate the chrome on to various parts. There are still chrome shops that can plate almost anything, look for those on the internet. If you want to but a kit to chrome plate anything, click on the link HERE, they will try to sell you a lot more than you need, just the basic chemicals, and a large battery charger is all you need. If you want chrome on plastic, a place called Mr G's is the place to go to, a link HERE for them. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm a novice at vinyl film application. I've been building bikes all of my life. I wanted to use a good product for a chrome like look. An easy application. I'm working on a 50cc racing bike right now. I wanted a different look. Painted chrome was my idea.
I'm a designer, but I get a lot of my tech work checked by my brother, a mechanical engineer for 36 years. My cousin owns a machine shop, I've learned a lot from. I'm not new to most of the biz, but chrome I've never been found of unless tinted.
You've been very helpful, I'll get the chroming chemicals to do the job. You've probably saved me a mint. Thanks for your advice and links.
Walt
Walt, I am happy to help. Good luck with it, and thanks for using Just Answer.