Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

How pnuematic and oil pump driven valve systems work..cars

Customer Question

Could describe or illustrate how pnuematic and oil pump driven valve systems work in Formula One cars?
Category: Car
Expert:  JASON replied 5 years ago.

JASON :

do you know how a clutch and slave cylinder work?

JASON :

it is the same idea, just that the slave cylinder is opening a valve, not pushing on clutch fork.

JASON :

are you there, let me know if you are available i can send pics

Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello

I'm afraid my fellow expert is incorrect (Jason) is incorrect, the pneumatic valve system doesn't actuate the valves hydraulically

the pneumatic part of the system is the spring, this air spring replaces the regular coil spring in a regular cam driven valve system

the valve is still opened with a regular cam but the use of the air spring has two major advantages

1) air doesn't weigh very much so a light valvetrain means you can use a more aggressive cam profile to get more performance

2) with an air spring there's no natural frequency to get excited and go into resonance and so lose valve control
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
simple answers for very complex questions never satisfy
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello

what else would you like to know?