Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.

Land Rover lr3..air suspension..right rear suspension sometimes raises

Customer Question

I just bought a Land Rover Lr3 with 65k miles on it and the air suspension has been acting up. I don't think it's a "leak" like the people I bought it from stated. The right rear suspension sometimes raises to the highest point on its own and won't go down without repeated tries. Then sometimes the whole vehicle lowers all the way to the ground and the bags are completely deflated. I'm looking into changing the air compressor myself if that's all the problem is. Does this sound typical of an air compressor going bad? Or does it sound more like a leak in the air lines somewhere that forces air to the rear bags?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. I'm Dj and I will work with you on this.

Dj :

If you have a leak, you will find the vehicle sitting on the ground when you get up in the morning. It doesn't sound like you have a leak.

Dj :

If you have a bad compressor, the pump will take a long time to get the vehicle up to level. It doesn't sound like you have a bad compressor.

Dj :

It sounds like you have a bad height sensor. The controller and the compressor are responding to false signals. When it thinks the vehicle is low, it jacks it up, way up. When it thinks it's too high, it releases pressure and drops the vehicle to the ground. Looks cool, but it's not practical.

Dj :

If you Google Image "Land Rover Height Sensor" you will see pictures of the sensor. This is a pretty easy diagnosis and fix. You can disconnect the lever and move it up and down and see what the computer does. But it's a fairly safe bet this is just a sensor problem. It's common.

Dj :

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Dj :

Dj

Customer:

DJ, Thanks so much for your response! I do have another question... Just this morning for the first time something new happened. At about 6am the truck's alarm starting going off. I turned it off and thought nothing of it. Then at about 8am it happened again. I am now worried that maybe it is a computer problem? What do you think about this?

Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dj, I am going to proceed with buying new height sensors for the rear of the vehicle. How easy is this to do on my own? How do I know if I need a new sensor for each rear side or just the right side? And can you explain a little more about the replacement process? Please and thank you sir.
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.

Here is a web site with a good picture of the sensor. There are two bolts that hold the sensor, and one that holds the lever.

http://www.britishpacific.com/products.php?model=Discovery+3++LR3&engine=Td6+2.7+Diesel&cattext=Suspension&subcattext=Air+Suspension&group=Height+Sensor&year=2007

It's likely that just one sensor is failing. But with one jacked up, it will pull the other side up also, but not as far.

So with the car parked on level ground, measure the distance from top of the wheel well to the ground. The highest one is the side with the faulty sensor.

This is about a half hour replacement. The toughest part is getting under the car to get access.

Dj