SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology

2002 Axiom: to disconnect the neg battery cable and wait 10 minutes

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Axiom. My clock and compass are not working. I was told to disconnect the neg battery cable and wait 10 minutes and the satellite would reset. I tried that and it did not work. Is there some other "trick" to it?
Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer, My name is Danny I am here to help.

Does the clock and compass display anything or are they blank no lights at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The display "box" shows --:-- where the time should display and the compass area shows the round display, but there is no N S E W. Everything else in the display panel works just fine....mpg, timer, instant mpg, ect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is my understanding that just the clock and compass are controlled by satellite and that I need to "reset the link", but I've done what the owner's manual says (the neg battery thing) and it did not work.
Ok the info is incorrect on resetting the battery you must disconnect both neg and pos battery cables for 5 minutes before reinstalling the cables you must touch them together just for a moment than install back onto the battery this ensures discharge of the computer modules. Than you have to drive the vehicle and give it proper time which should not be more than 10 miles it should reset and be back to normal. Thanks

Danny
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you want me to touch them together? Won't that cause me and the vehicle a big jolt??
No not if they are disconnected from the battery. With both the cables disconnected off the battery before reinstalling them touch them together than reinstall them on the battery this is the proper steps to ensure all the power is discharged from the vehicle sometimes a small amount of power can be in the modules so it doesnt reset the system this will not jolt spark or anything. Thanks

Danny
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I did what you said. It cleared my pre-set radio channels, but still no working clock or compass. Anything else I can try?
I will opt out see if another tech has further help.