Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

300 lx: 160 000 km..engine management light..light starts..few seconds

Customer Question

I bought a 2005 isuzu 300lx with 160 000 km on the clock. It has a power problem in that it does not have the power one might expect. Recently the engine management light starts to go on at around 110 km/h for a few seconds and at the same time the power is even further reduced. Today it started to jerk as if out of fuel. Had the filters and turbo checked out, no problem. Help
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hi

if the light is blinking it is usually a misfire. You can confirm this by hooking up a code reader. With a misfire it could be bad Spark Plugs, Wires, Dirty fuel rail and injectors. If you have not had a complete tune up done you might want to do that, plus it will help get you better gas milage. You should change the Plugs, Wires, and put a gas additive in. You could have a coil also going bad.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a turbo engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Diesel engine
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

ok, sorry.

have the injectors been tested, including the wiring harness to them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did that 2 services ago. No problem
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I will need to opt out and get another expert involved.

Please dont reply to this post as it will lock it to me and no other expert can help. thank you
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is MIKE.. I will endeavor to help you with your vehicle...

Im assuming all the basics have been checked through - for any leaky seals, poor fitting pipework / bad connections etc etc...

Given the mileage - and the fact that you had the injectors tested / wiring checked 2 services ago .. and the fact that the EML ( engine management fault light ) comes on as you describe, then its time to check the wiring -and injectors again. Your mileage isn't excessive for a diesel - but it is at the time where injectors do give trouble - as you describe.

You say you have changed the filters - I assume you mean air and fuel , so thats good.. but its not cured it - so that does lead you back to teh injectors..at least on the face of things.

If that fault light is staying on - you need to have a plug in fault code test done - which will direct you to the fault via fault codes. If its not staying on, then thats a waste of time - but you can have diagnostic equipment hooked up to the vehicle on board diagnostic socket - and in Live Data / running mode, take the vehicle for a run - and when that light comes on, it will show on the machine screen the fault - and you can then progress from there. If its a sensor fault / turbo fault / injector misfire, - whatever it is, it will find it..

You can try a good additive for the fuel system / injectors again now if you wish and run it and see if that helps. You may find the injectors now at this time need to come out and be serviced / reconditioned - So those are the ways forward on this one now to get to the bottom of this one. You need to run through the above to arrive at the fault ...hopefully it wont be a pump fault- certainly you need to work through as mentioned though - thats the best / cost effective way forward for you on this engine / system.

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.