James, Technician
Experience:  6 years automotive 4 years mining electrical
19010087

v8..about 10 minutes..cap..something rattling loose around in the tank

I have a Disco v8 3.9l auto. After about 10 minutes it overheats spraying steam out the expansion bottle when I take the cap off it makes a noise of something rattling loose around in the tank. There are no water leaks I even took the thermostate out and it still overheats. Do you have answer for me?
Category: Car
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Hi there.

Thanks for using Just Answer

From the information you have provided it sounds like you have one of 3 issues.

I will list these in order of probability least to most.

1 Least likley # XXXXX with your water pump.

2 Using the wrong coolant.

3 Less likley # XXXXX with your radiator cap.

4 Most likley # XXXXX crack in your head gasket. I will explain.

Its a common miss conception that when a head gasket goes the engine will always loose coolant or water.

In some cases the crack with be in between the water jacket and the the cylinder causing water to be superheated.

So how do we know if this is the case ?

Most mechanics can preform what is called a TK test this is to test for traces of carbon monoxide in the water / coolant. they add a die to a cylinder that when attached to your radiator the die will change color if there are traces of exhaust gases in the cooling system.

If this is the case it sounds like you have caught it at a very early stage and will be the significantly less expensive than if it was allowed to develop.

I hope this assists you with your direct question , if you require any more information please feel free to ask.

Regards

Joel

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i took out the water pump it looks new there is no sludge coming out of the cooling system. I,ll try a new cap. Otherwise I'll have to check the gasket.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
That sounds a great plan of attack.

If you need any more info at all please feel free to ask.

Regards

Joel

I strive FOR 100% customer satisfaction. Please ask me if you are unsure of answer. Once your happy please TAKE A MOMENT TO click THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTONTHANK YOU ITS GREATLY APPRECIATED
James, Technician
Experience: 6 years automotive 4 years mining electrical