Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.

CHEVY: HOUSING..CAN LOWER THE TIMING ON THE DISTRIBUTOR AND IT..CRANK

1976 454 CID CHEVY, HAS EATEN ABOUT 15 OR 16 STARTERS IS LAST 2-3 YEARS, I HAVE TRIED FILING THE MOUNTING SURFACE TO MOVE THE DRIVE CLOSER TO FLYWHEEL, INSTALLED TWO NEW FLYWHEELS, IT KEPT EATING STARTERS BY BREAKING ALUMINUM HOUSING ON DRIVE END, THE NEXT NEW STARTER I BOUGHT I PUT A STEEL OR CAST IRON DRIVE END FROM AN EARLIER 427 CID ENG. THEN IT STARTED SHATTERING THE BENDIX OR DRIVE GEAR. I CAN LOWER THE TIMING ON THE DISTRIBUTOR AND IT WILL CRANK EASIER BUT HAS NO HORSEPOWER AND GULPS GAS. I HAVE EVEN MODIFIED THE DISTRIBUTOR SO THAT THE ADVANCE PLATE GOES TO EVEN FARTHER INTO RETARD THAN STOCK WITH STOPPED ENGINE
Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. I'm Dj and I will work with you on this.

Dj :

When you installed the starter, did you have any trouble getting the bolts to start in the bolt holes?

Dj :

Also, there is a bracket that goes from the back side of the starter to the block. When I say back side, I mean the end without the Bendix. Do you have the bracket attached?

Dj :

Let me know and we can go from there.

Dj :

There is a solution to this problem, but first things first.

Dj :

Dj

Customer:

YES SIR, IT DON'T SEEM TO MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE, IT WILL CRASH JUST ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT OF STARTERS WITH IT AS WITHOUT IT...BILLY

Dj :

Billy,

Dj :

I had a 1976 Suburban with exactly the same problem, except that my starters usually lasted about 5 months.

Dj :

The reason for checking to see if it installed smoothly, was to see if shims were needed. It it went in OK, the you don't need shims. If you had a lot of trouble installing the starter bolts, you need to add a shim.

Dj :

Here is what I did to fix mine. And it lasted for about 5 years until I sold the truck. I put in a gear reduction starter, the bracket and a heat shield and new bolts. The starter had a lifetime guarantee which was important.

Dj :

The starter I got was a Denso. It was supposed to be a racing motor starter. For me, it just worked and never failed again.

Customer:

No problem installing bolts, and like I said to start out with I have had to file off of the mounting surface to get the starter drive to go deeper into the flywheel..I finally went to napa and bought lifetime starter, I went to GM and bought a Delco Starter and it lasted just about the same amount of time.

Dj :

There are two different flywheels used on this motor. I wonder if you have the wrong one our you are installing starters that don't match the flywheel. One has 153 teeth, the other has 168.

Dj :

Does this sound like a possibility?

Customer:

according to the books it is the right flywheel, even tho i know the books can be wrong or looked up wrong. when I put a fresh starter on it starts clean, the drive backs out cleanly, then if I start the engine hot it wants to eat a starter..

Customer:

I started building small block racing engines about 45 or 50 years ago and I have had to install a reduction gear starter a couple of times, but most of my engines have retarded timing on the cam shaft for high rpm, which lowers the static compression ratio...it just seems like this big block would have a low enough static compression to not do this..

Dj :

The stock GM starter is a weak design with a poor mounting system. Take a look at the Denso starter.

Dj :

Give a minute and I will find an example.

Customer:

ok, I might have to do that, the Saints game is on, I will talk to you later...thanks for your suggestions and i will pay you later...

Dj :

I would also count the teeth on the flywheel when you take the starter out. Just to make sure.

Dj :

Dj

Customer:

ok, I counted the teeth earlier, but don't recall right now how many, when I ordered the flywheel from Eagle Motorsports in Tyler, tx he sent the one same as original that came on the truck,

Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.