Engineering Pro
Engineering Pro, Development Engineer
Experience:  BEng. M-SAE, 15 years Vehicle Calibration

Dpf on a diesel auto pajero be hollowed out..limp mode..dealers

Customer Question

Can dpf on a diesel auto pajero be 'hollowed out' - for want of a better description to avoid it causing limp mode as a result of lots of slow speed remote operation. As there are no dealers even if you could get back to them in remote Aust.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 2 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.The DPF system is a program that is incorpated into the engine computer,The system needs to perform a complete regenative on the system at times when the sensor detects that there is excess soot in the system, No, you can not hollow out the unit, The best thing for you to do is at times take a longer drive and run it a bit harder then normal and let the system perform its clean-out procedure, Thanks, Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this isssue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry there was a computor glich, the screen disappeared. The answer, in case my request for further help was lost, was the book answer does not help. In the conditions
a lomg hard run is impossible - especially where the coditions have already caused 'limp'mode.
Some Nissans with dpf have modified the dpf whilst keeping it in the computor loop
and these vehicles have not had any repercussions over some years modified.
This diesel auto with dpf was only for a short time and was troublesome.
A number of upgrades and each owner offered $1.200 on cards by Mitsubishi in,
I guess, recognition of their limp home experiences Doesn't help much in certaim driving conditions. Is the answer no abswer!
.
Ok, may-be Im not reading you correctly, But have you removed the DPF and tried cleaning it out with hot water and a good high grade soap (use a pressure washer) and then install it and then perform the drive regen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry your answer does not assist. My question put another way is that similar dpf fitted Nissans have 'hollowed out' the dpf with no operational difficulties over 2yrs use. Avoiding potential 'limp mode' from long low speed revs operations well away from dealers or the ability to have a run at speed & higher revs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Engineering Pro replied 2 years ago.

Hello

The short answer is that it has been done to NS models, but not necessarily the NT.

It is being done with a replacement pipe in place of the DPF assembly and an associated aftermarket ECU controller.

The modifications which I know about have been done by Chipit.com.au

They should be fairly robust in terms of reliability etc but you are moving away from how the vehicle was intended to perform so there is always an element of risk associated with such modifications, however the pajeroclub australian forum would be the place to ask whether the success rate is high enough for you to want to do the modification...

All the best

Jon