Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

New starter, plugs dist.

Customer Question

I have a 1984 amc eagle sw 4.2L. I had the car sitting in the yard for about 5 yrs, and started to fix it up again. New starter, plugs dist. cap, rotor, etc. The only problem I'm having is the car overheats only after drivng for awhile. I also have a new thermostat and water pump in. Heater control valve checks ok-timing ok-catal. conv. ok. I also flushed the cooling system and sealed a small leak in the radiator. Don't know if the lower radiator hose is collapsing when driving- New hose but no spring in it. Only things I can figure may be the problemis the radiator,transmission cooling lines or brakes dragging/catching. What do you suggest? Thanks, Hank
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 4 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.Keep in mind that after a vehicle its for a peroid of time,then the water with all it minerals in it tend to sink to the bottom of the radiator and then in-turn will plug-up many of the radiator cores,(not allowing the proper flow of coolant through the cores,and then the coolant will not dissipate the heat from the engine in a timely matter,then the engine will tend to run hotter and over-heat, You need to power flush the engine block, and replace the radiator, You can get a new radiator from 1800 radiator, for less then it would cost to have yours recored! Thanks