James, Technician
Experience:  6 years automotive 4 years mining electrical
19010087

Isuzu 2004 D4D diesel four door pickup w/ four wheel drive

Customer Question

Isuzu 2004 D4D diesel four door pickup w/ four wheel drive and auto trans. It has about 55,000 miles of slow stop and go. When I got it the transmission fluid smelled burned. I changed it but not sure the correct fluid was used. When you push on the gas it sometimes waits a few seconds and then catches and goes. This was happening only a very little but now has started to do it quite a bit.
Category: Car
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Hi there

Thanks for using just answer

Sounds like you have answered your own question there.

Just a few questions when you changed the fluid did you also change the filters ?

And how diid you go about changing the fluid ?

This will give me a little insight into what your problem may be.

Thanks

Joel
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I happen to know the filter was not changed. Pissed me off but can't do anything about it. I know the fluid was good transmission fluid but do not know if this truck takes special type. The fluid was changed by opening the drain and letting it out like the oil from the engine. Again, pissed me off. I'm a back yard mechanic with a lot of experience. I'm looking for history of this transmission as well as reliability info. One other note which I don't think makes too much difference, but helps you understand my situation. I live in Thailand and they have very few auto trans here and really don't know much about them.
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Hi there

As far as i am aware there have be no major reported issues with the Isuzu auto transmissions in Isuzu D4D ,rodeos , or D maxes.

As for history the auto transmission in the D4D 2004 was used from 2000 all the way up until 2007 so the better part of half a decade and in over a million 4wds so I don't think there is a reliability issue there Isuzu is renound for making good equipment.

I have worked on quiet a few myself.

The correct fluid is DEXRON (R) III.

The correct way to change the fluid is to remove a hose from the cooler and pump clean fluid through the transmission this may take up to 16L

This is to remove all the crud from inside the transmission.

The filter must be replaced as its bottleneck for the system the fluid will not flow properly causing overheating and other damage to your transmission.

I hope this assists you with your thoughs.

I would reccomnd having the filter removed and replaced and have the gear box flushed properly before adding new fluid